• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

actual volume vs. living volume

flampton

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I've become very curious in getting a cuttle, particulary S. bandensis what i'm interested in is the volume that is needed. I've heard that 20 gallon tanks might be fine for keeping these creatures but the tank I'm currently interested in is 20 gallons total system volume, not living space volume. It is the m-tank by finnex ( http://www.oceanreeflections.com/headings.aspx?prodcat=Aquariums&heading=Finnex&page=1 ).

Any thoughts for those in the know?

Thnks

E

Having two adult S. bandensis, I would recommend at least a 55 gallon. They like having enough space to move around. A 20 gallon is too small. I had mine in a 29 gallon until they were 5 months old when they got too cramped in the space (I had an already cycled 55 gallon). Another concern with a smaller tank is the amount of waste they produce. You need to have a good filtration system and check the water parameters often.

Look at the Ceph Care articles at the top of the page and/or pick up the June issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist for more information.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back