• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Acrilic or starphire

Inkman

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'm looking to have a very big tank built and wanted a few suggestions on wat to go with starphire or acrilic now it's gunna b a reef so lots o rock and I have a toddler but starphire is pricy so I don't kno wat to do lol

I've never used the Starphire glass but do have a mixture of glass and acrylic and find pros and cons to both. For large tanks, weight obviously goes in the acrylic pro column. Both scratch but acrylic more easily. I will not suggest the, "you can buff the acrylic scratches" as a pro since most scratches occur in the inside (as you alluded to with the rock but also it is hard not to pickup bottom substrate while cleaning) and a full tank striping and hours and hours of multi grit sandpaper are needed to revive a scratched acrylic tank. Scratches in acrylic don't tend to harbor algae but do show (those who say you don't see them when the tank is full really mean you learn not to notice them much) where glass scratches tend to be lines and turn green. I get less photo reflection from the acrylic but my back panels are mat black. The glass back reflects even with black (outside) mat paint or black plastic. Breaking the "No ball playing in the house" rule turns into "I didn't know my daughter had such a good arm" with a glass tank but the acrylic will take more than anything a kid will give it and not crack (outside scratch buffing is still a major chore but doable). Acrylic seams will never need recalking since any seams are chemically bonded. Over time (10+ years), silicone seals need to be replaced. Silicone seals tend to collect algae that cannot be removed (easily or without damaging the seal). Acrylics don't leak but can warp. Glass can't warp but can leak. Acrylics are easier for DIY modifications and can be easily patched (though not esthetically). Cleaning an arylic takes more time, more care and more expensive cleaning tools, you can use a razor on glass for tough algae (but not on the seams). I have seen posts indicating that glass is better for no-flash photography but I cannot vouch for the material being the cause of better results.

Thanks d that points me in a direction wich one I dont kno but ill have time to contemplate it tho I gotta save alot of scratch cuz I want it huge

The weight alone may be a major factor and if you are "flooding your basement" with tanks, the ease of cutting acrylic may also push in that direction. Hopefully you are putting this on a concrete pad!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back