• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Absolute Basics

WingedCoyote

Hatchling
Registered
So, I've pretty recently been made aware of the fact that octopi (or is it octopuses? or octopodes) are extremely cool. I want one.

But man, it looks like a pretty big undertaking. I've picked up some info from browsing the forums, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing. About all I've raised before is goldfish.

Is there a site with detailed information about the basics of running this kind of tank? Just an introduction to the vocabulary would be handy -- what's a sump, what are the different kinds of lighting and filtering, etc. Thanks for helping!

Hi WingedCoyote,

Welcome to TONMO.com :welcome:

Why don't you look at our Ceph Care articles first. Just click on the Ceph Care button above, and look at Colin's Equipment List (which contains more than just equipment) and my Checklist for a start. You'll find more useful information if you follow the links.

Then, reading through past posts is also very informative.

There's a lot to learn, you're right, but it's possible to do. We're standing by to answer your questions

Nancy

Thanks guys, I appreciate having a little direction! :smile: I'm reading up now, and I'll come back when I get to the point of more specific questions.

Oh, one thing for the time being -- what's an overflow? I know it's part of the water filtration system, but I can't figure out the specifics of the structure.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back