About Monterey... (split from the initial Poll thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me info on where Monterey? East or West Coast? Which state? Anyone willing to tell me which hotel you guys will be staying? since I want to be in close contact with you guys in case I get lost in a real big city.

Oh, and any more attractions in Monterey? I wouldn't ming if anyone can arrange a tour of the local universities or research labs.
Steve (Hint Hint) -----------------------------(above)

Chrono,

Monterey is on the West Coast, about two hours' drive from San Francisco, about five-and-a-half hours' North of Los Angeles. There is a shuttle service from San Francisco International Airport straight into downtown Monterey. In terms of size, Monterey is more of a medium-sized town than a big city, kind of like Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz if I recall. Of course, that will mean little to you, but it's a nice place. Very pretty. Hope you can make it!

I'm sure at least some of us should be able to meet up at the airport and ride the shuttle together, assuming arrivals aren't too far apart... as Melissa noted, logistics to come...

corw314 said:
What day is everyone coming in???? I'm looking at the 4th.
At present, I'm thinking of coming in on 8/5 (the Friday), and leaving 8/7 (the Sunday), but that could change depending on how the agenda shapes up.

chrono_war01 said:
Oh, and any more attractions in Monterey? I wouldn't ming if anyone can arrange a tour of the local universities or research labs.
Steve (Hint Hint) -----------------------------(above)

There are three different labs here that you might be able to visit.

Moss Landing Marine Labratories Moss Landing Marine Laboratories – Administered by San Jose State University for a consortium of seven CSU campuses dedicated to excellence in the Marine Sciences
I applied for a cooks job on thier RV Point Sur. Would've had it too, if I hadn't spewed my guts out the whole second day. Cool place though, I'll see what I can russle up for a tour.

Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute www.mbari.org I met one of the postdocs a few weeks ago, and I'm working on that one already.

Hopkins Marine Lab Hopkins Marine Station Don't know anyone there, not that I know of anyway. Although I suspect there are TONMO members that have something to do with the place.

Thanks for all the info, by the way, anyone planning to go there before TONMOcon and stay there after it has ended? I mean why stay there only for a few days when you use so much money on transportation? I staying there at least for a week since it takes about 4000-5000HKD

We'll be putting up some cheaper lodgings in Monterey over the next week, either here or on the Monterey: FAQs thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back