Abdopus spermatophore transfer

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Neogonodactylus, May 28, 2011.

1. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

My Abdopus sp.#5's have been mating up a storm giving me a chance to photograph some of the more intimate details. In this shot the male is out of view (above right), but you can see two of his arms coming into view. One has the female by the posterior mantle stabilizing his grip on her. The other, the hectocotylus comes in behind her head, wraps under her eyes and inserts into her mantle cavity. About 10 seconds earlier I watched the male transfer a spermatophore to the base of the hectocotylus. In this frame the spermatophore is moving down the hectocotylus and is entering the female's mantle cavity. It got hung up at this point for a few seconds, entered her cavity and then was quickly ejected. Mating lasted for about 10 minutes and at least three spematophores were passed to the female.

Attached Files:

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Right on!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

VERY different than the mating of my two briareaus where the female was held from behind and kept covered and in place with arms and webbing (assuming to avoid predation). How many body lengths away is the male?

4. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

The male often stays 20-30 cm away although they usually start out closer.

Roy