• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Abdopus eggs !!! Help

I had no clue eggs were even present all of a sudden babies were everywhere throughout a 2 week period we saw nothing from the mother.

This is not uncommon, especially if they brood right away since being reclusive in the initial month is normal. Brooding and about to brood is more detectable if they have been with you awhile. Normal clues are collecting small shells, trying out new dens and eating twice as much as they have been. Unfortunately, most new keepers get excited about the hearty appetite and increased activity. I think part of the reason we often see newly introduce females brood soon after introduction is the increased appetite so they are out more often and easily caught.

I have moved Mo and the entire den upstairs into my 30 gallon tank so the fish wont bother them. The problem is that this tank isn't exactly ready and still needs a month and a half to go so this will be interesting. Mo seems to be doing fine up there she seems to be getting impatient and just blows at the eggs as they swing back and forth. Tell me if this is normal or not. Mo's eggs are on the roof of her den and she clings onto the top of the den covering all the eggs in her mantle. She doesnt really seem to run her arms along them at all, she just blows. I also think that the eggs are fertilized because I see little brown specs on some of the eggs( is this algae or eyes?)

It is unusual for the mother to die before the eggs hatch but the timing is usually close (often within a day). The eggs should be very close to hatching. There have been several successes with hatching large egg species (but no longevity) so you might as well give it a try. I've not done this so best guess an what I can recall from reading is the best I can offer.

With my one successful hatching of squid eggs, I pinned the cluster to a plastic bubble wrap and put them in the flow of my return. The next two batches that did not hatch did not have the direct flow and started getting coated with algae. The abandoned eggs from Cassy were in flow but in front of the tank and in light. They could have been infertile but they never matured and split open. I don't think anything bothered them but the rough rock may have been too abrasive.

So, with those thoughts I would suggest moving the eggs/egg rock to where you can see it but they are not exposed to light (even turn the light off if you don't have anything in there that needs it but still keep them as dark as you can manage and still monitor) and most importantly not exposed to any clean up crew. Place them where they will be moving, not rubbing on something and not detached in some kind of water flow. Alternately, add waterflow to where they are now so that you can see them gently moving but if there is anything in the tank that will eat them, it will.

There is a gelatinous thing growing on the eggs it is transparent and it was always there on half of them, now its spreading over all the eggs and onto the roof of the cave.

I am curious as to what it might be but it should definitely NOT be there. The female keeps the eggs individually clean and free of any kind of algae or coating. I think (not something I recorded unfortunately) that when my squid eggs started to deteriorate they may have looked like what you are describing.

Ok I am positive that the eggs are dead they are covered in this toothpaste like thing it is hard and very white. I think that I will try and take them out today or tomorrow. There are also some little red worms that came on the live rock in that tank do you think that the worms laid eggs on the eggs?

those red worms are brissle worms, i have no idea about them laying eggs, but I think they may eat the eggs. In the past brissles were thought to be a huge problem, but as of recent they are become more accepted as part of the clean up crew, However I'm not sure what they would do with eggs my thought is they would eat them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back