• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Abdopus Aculeatus for sale

Thats about the only spot people get them that i am aware of. It is pretty hard to get the species since it is from indonesia. The only octos people are keeping are aculeatus,hummelincki,bimac(not that often though), and briareus (dont know how to spell that). Also some people got some o. beldars. I dont know how often they come around though. I would just wait for another one on Live aquaria.

Thank the Gods! I finally got to purchase my octopus. Titled ("Indo-Pacific" octopus; assorted) I'm so anxious to see what I'm actually going to get. I should have it by Tuesday, which is great, because that's my day off. I'm soooo excited. I'll try to start a journal when ever I get the animal. I'm hoping it's a baby female aculeatus. Oh and you spelled it right....."briareus"

Not to rain on your happiness but you octo will most likely be full grown when you get it. Since they are pretty small octos they might say it is a baby but they probably dont know how big that species gets. When you get it spend as much time you have with it since it is a high chance it is full grown and you will only have a few months with it. Congrats though!

:roflmao:O.beldar is a misnomer (I am sure Bel would have been flattered by the thought though :wink:). Beldar was an octopus in macopus complex but the specific species was unknown. It is true that several have shown up this year that seem to be the same octopus (based on ultimate size). One guess is O. luteus but the sizing in Norman doesn't fit (these have been much smaller).

Ya I kind of figured it would be a mature animal and near the end of it's life due to it's small size, but that's the price we pay for wanting the smaller animals. I'm just keeping my spirits high and hoping for the best. If it is adult then I'm praying to the gods it's a gravid female. I know they have planktonic young and all, and the chances of my raising them is slim to none, but a guy and can dream right. I've read that Aculeatus is semi fish friendly. Anyone have some input on that? If I wanted to keep just an Aculeatus, a seahorse, and some corals together would that be possible? I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be a big whopping NO! but I figure I'll ask anyways.

Well I just ordered an "indo-pacific" from live aquaria and got an adult female aculeatus. However she is awesome, very curious and active! She changes color and texture all the time! You just have to enjoy the time you have. Corals will have to be low light since octos don't like really bright lights and no anemones. I wouldn't try a sea horse, but you could give it a go. There have been some cases where octos live with other organisms I believe, but its tentative.

I have tons of other stuff in my tank. All kinds of corals and even Fish. I'm not saying it will work for you but so far I have had great success. I say go for it, just dont be tooooo suprised if the seahorse disappears. The corals should all be fine as long as they are not stinging. My octopus loves to molest my anemones I have two of them. She like to run her arms through theirs, she will steal their food sometimes.

Wow that sounds so funny. I'd love to see my octo molest my anemones. www.liveaquaria.com just sent me email today saying that they were unable to fill my order. That's kind of upsetting because they sold me the animal and then say they can't fill it. Oh well. I'm hoping they will have one ready to ship soon. I just finished gluing my rocks together tonight. I hope they hold. I really love the rock structure. I have pictures on my other thread....http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/11416/page-2....When you received your aculeatus, how soon after that were they accepting frozen food, and will I be able to feed mine live ghost shrimp until it does take frozen?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back