Abdopus abaculus jetting and shifting

My camera can fire at 5.5 frames/sec and if I set the strobes at 1/32 power they can keep up with the camera for 6 -8 frames. However, I rarely follow a jetting octopus or swimming stomatopod and keep them in focus for more than two or three frames, so the first three are about 200 msec apart. The last shot of the animal completely smooth and cream colored is from another sequence taken in the same session. The escape sequences are so predictable that I could stage them over and over again as long as the animal started out on a black background and jetted across white sand.

Roy

That is rather impressive stuff! (And now I'm convinced I'll never try and ID an octopus from a still!!)

Thanks mucktopus! I probably should have realized that but it looks so far back that I was confused (that and I am dealing with my macropus brooding - unlikely to be viable eggs and not raisable if they were - so my mind wanders in that direction).

If Roy ever retires, I hope he continues to shoot and share photos!

Absolutely amazing. So many components to those body patters (chromatic, textural, postural, etc.), that photo could be analyzed for months and still remain mysterious and inspiring.
Many thanks Dr. Caldwell

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back