Abdopus abaculus jetting and shifting | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Abdopus abaculus jetting and shifting

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
My camera can fire at 5.5 frames/sec and if I set the strobes at 1/32 power they can keep up with the camera for 6 -8 frames. However, I rarely follow a jetting octopus or swimming stomatopod and keep them in focus for more than two or three frames, so the first three are about 200 msec apart. The last shot of the animal completely smooth and cream colored is from another sequence taken in the same session. The escape sequences are so predictable that I could stage them over and over again as long as the animal started out on a black background and jetted across white sand.

Roy

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
That is rather impressive stuff! (And now I'm convinced I'll never try and ID an octopus from a still!!)

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Roy,
In the last shot, is the dark spot on the mantle an indication that the octopus is female?

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Thanks mucktopus! I probably should have realized that but it looks so far back that I was confused (that and I am dealing with my macropus brooding - unlikely to be viable eggs and not raisable if they were - so my mind wanders in that direction).

If Roy ever retires, I hope he continues to shoot and share photos!

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Absolutely amazing. So many components to those body patters (chromatic, textural, postural, etc.), that photo could be analyzed for months and still remain mysterious and inspiring.
Many thanks Dr. Caldwell

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards