Abdophus! Ieatfalalfel's first octo

ieatfalalfel

Wonderpus
Registered
Yay! my first octopus just got in and is acclimating! It looks like aculeatus (spelling?) to me, but pictures are on the way! His mantle is probably an inch or two, its hard to tell, and i cant tell with the arms. I have live food ready and i am excited to start an adventure with my new octo! By the way, i ordered him from live aquaria Wednesday, he shipped yesterday, and now hes here (today is friday.) Everybody at my new school (started yesterday) thinks im super cool because I have an octopus! :cool2:

Here is smushy the octopus! I was getting her to go into a tubberware container to put her in the tank and she crawled up my arm! I had no idea what to do! :confused: but it was awesome! Anyways my mom took a video and it should show up below, shes hiding now though, how do you guys keep from spending every moment in front of the tank!?! :bugout:

just realized how much i lack at photagraphy skills... can you confirm my ID? in the video I attempt to say aculeatus, as i have never heard anyone say it, ive just heard it.

Didn't you love it when the left pixel moved to the right!? This was my moms iPhone, I have yet to get the video from my HD camera, but I will post it. She played with the magnet for a bit, I am glad she is so interactive!

Ahhhh, it inked! it was small, but it happened! my protein took care of it while i ran in circles. If she inks more, what should be my course of action? and am i posting too much, im really excited?

I just LOVED your mom's "Does it have a normal name?" question :biggrin2: For pronounciation and a little about the study done by Mucktopus and Roy during Mucktopus' doctoriate got to 2:20 on this video:

This has to be my suckiest experience ever. I mentioned she was playing with the algae magnet, and she played thats all she did. And all her legs are ten or more inches, which i know is very large. And the ends of her arms didnt look very much like they were... working. They twitched around and were white. So im guessing she was pre-brood. So i thought maybe i had a week or a month with her, I got two hours. She just walked around and then sat on a piece of live rock, and then she stopped moving. Is this normal!?!? i tested my levels and they are all good, so its not water quality. I acclimated her for an hour and two minutes, which i read is fine. Anyways, what could have killed my octopus besides old age. Rest in peace little octopus.

ieatfalalfel;181236 said:
This has to be my suckiest experience ever. I mentioned she was playing with the algae magnet, and she played thats all she did. And all her legs are ten or more inches, which i know is very large. And the ends of her arms didnt look very much like they were... working. They twitched around and were white. So im guessing she was pre-brood. So i thought maybe i had a week or a month with her, I got two hours. She just walked around and then sat on a piece of live rock, and then she stopped moving. Is this normal!?!? i tested my levels and they are all good, so its not water quality. I acclimated her for an hour and two minutes, which i read is fine. Anyways, what could have killed my octopus besides old age. Rest in peace little octopus.
That sucks, but unexplained deaths seem to be a part of this hobby. Even one of the most experienced octo keepers, D, lost two a few weeks ago and never found out what happened to them.

Three but the third was almost DOA where the two O.briareus were young specimens from a collector that I have used for 5 years and never had a young octo not live to a normal lifespan.

It does seem that we get groups of unsuccessful shipments but I have never gone back over the posts to see if there is anything obvious (like August heat). I probably should spend some time looking back at the journal links to see if anything jumps out. My second animal from LA survived shipping but showed stress for a week. Sadly, he is not eating any of the offered food but is active and still colors well. I see him hunt but not eat and I see pods scurry away so I don't think he is eating them (I bought a slew of them when he refused other food). At this point I don't see any deterioration but am clueless to what he may be eating or why he seems healthy.

I didn't count Dink because of the arrival condition. I mentioned the two briareus because it was odd they both were lost so quickly together.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back