Abdophus! Ieatfalalfel's first octo

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by ieatfalalfel, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ieatfalalfel

ieatfalalfel Wonderpus Registered

Yay! my first octopus just got in and is acclimating! It looks like aculeatus (spelling?) to me, but pictures are on the way! His mantle is probably an inch or two, its hard to tell, and i cant tell with the arms. I have live food ready and i am excited to start an adventure with my new octo! By the way, i ordered him from live aquaria Wednesday, he shipped yesterday, and now hes here (today is friday.) Everybody at my new school (started yesterday) thinks im super cool because I have an octopus! 8-)

2. ieatfalalfel

Here is smushy the octopus! I was getting her to go into a tubberware container to put her in the tank and she crawled up my arm! I had no idea what to do! :confused: but it was awesome! Anyways my mom took a video and it should show up below, shes hiding now though, how do you guys keep from spending every moment in front of the tank!?! :bugout:

3. ieatfalalfel

just realized how much i lack at photagraphy skills... can you confirm my ID? in the video I attempt to say aculeatus, as i have never heard anyone say it, ive just heard it.

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

The video quality is a little too low to confirm the species, but it is about the right size and shape....

5. ieatfalalfel

Didn't you love it when the left pixel moved to the right!? This was my moms iPhone, I have yet to get the video from my HD camera, but I will post it. She played with the magnet for a bit, I am glad she is so interactive!

6. ieatfalalfel

Ahhhh, it inked! it was small, but it happened! my protein took care of it while i ran in circles. If she inks more, what should be my course of action? and am i posting too much, im really excited?

7. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

I always imagined it sounded like Ack-you-lee-at-us, but I have no idea.

8. CaptFish

two options..first do nothing and let your skimmer take care of it (this is what i do) or you can try and scoop or suck the ink out of the tank (this is what others do)

9. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I just LOVED your mom's "Does it have a normal name?" question :grin: For pronounciation and a little about the study done by Mucktopus and Roy during Mucktopus' doctoriate got to 2:20 on this video:

10. ieatfalalfel

This has to be my suckiest experience ever. I mentioned she was playing with the algae magnet, and she played thats all she did. And all her legs are ten or more inches, which i know is very large. And the ends of her arms didnt look very much like they were... working. They twitched around and were white. So im guessing she was pre-brood. So i thought maybe i had a week or a month with her, I got two hours. She just walked around and then sat on a piece of live rock, and then she stopped moving. Is this normal!?!? i tested my levels and they are all good, so its not water quality. I acclimated her for an hour and two minutes, which i read is fine. Anyways, what could have killed my octopus besides old age. Rest in peace little octopus.

11. CaptFish

In the video the narrator pronounces it-
    add-oh-puss Ack-ew-lee-ott-us

That sounds kind of ackward, its doent seem to roll off the tongue quite right

12. DWhatley

Roy comes in and pronounces it as well at the noted 2:20 mark but it still does not roll of the tongue easily.

13. iAlex

That sucks, but unexplained deaths seem to be a part of this hobby. Even one of the most experienced octo keepers, D, lost two a few weeks ago and never found out what happened to them.

14. DWhatley

Three but the third was almost DOA where the two O.briareus were young specimens from a collector that I have used for 5 years and never had a young octo not live to a normal lifespan.

It does seem that we get groups of unsuccessful shipments but I have never gone back over the posts to see if there is anything obvious (like August heat). I probably should spend some time looking back at the journal links to see if anything jumps out. My second animal from LA survived shipping but showed stress for a week. Sadly, he is not eating any of the offered food but is active and still colors well. I see him hunt but not eat and I see pods scurry away so I don't think he is eating them (I bought a slew of them when he refused other food). At this point I don't see any deterioration but am clueless to what he may be eating or why he seems healthy.

15. iAlex

I didn't count Dink because of the arrival condition. I mentioned the two briareus because it was odd they both were lost so quickly together.

16. ieatfalalfel

So is there anything i need to check before getting another octopus, LA has a 14 day guarantee, an i had her for... two hours?

17. DWhatley

Do you have anything to check PH quickly? Many people don't like test strips but for acclimation they are the best method I know of for matching (ie use two each time you test and match the color of the tank water with the acclimation water, regardless of what the value is). There are differences of opinion but slower longer acclimation is my preference if there is no ink.

LA honors their guarantee without a problem but you should to call it in ASAP, I call them even if the animal only looks ill when it arrives but that probably is not necessary.

18. ieatfalalfel

I tested all the levels myself and had some LFSs check it too, it's fine. I'll call LA and get a replacement, how Long should I acclimate the next one?

19. DWhatley

I was referring to MATCHING the PH and salt levels, not testing for best values. The reason for acclimation is to slowly match and the time depends on the differences and how much water you add and remove not some set time period. I put the bag in a bucket of tank water for temperature matching and add a turkey baster of water about every 3 to 5 minutes. I remove half the water when I have added about half again the shipping water to the bag. It usually takes me at least 2 and usually closer to 3 hours but, again, it depends upon the differences in the shipping water and the tank water.

20. ieatfalalfel

Ok, thanks for clarification, i picked up some stuff at LFS today to do that, as i ran out yesterday. My next attempt will be here on tuesday. The LA helper/phone person sounded like a robot.