A visit to the Monaco Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by OB, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

So, as I was celebrating the umpteenth anniversary of my cooking club in an undisclosed location between Cannes and Grasse, we deemed it logical to spend a leisurely afternoon in Monaco, but obviously not without a visit to its aquarium. Yes, there were cephs at hand!

Albeit not too many...

And some of them not at all in shape :sad:

I think keeping Nautilus should probably be banned, bar research purposes? Look at this sad excuse for a shelled ceph, floating at the surface, its buoyancy obviously not in shape at all, shell all blackened. Very low light, and I didn't want to startle, so no flash and thus motion blur.

[​IMG]

There were also some Sepia officinalis, quite happy after enjoying their latest supper, here's one.

[​IMG]

So, as could be expected, O. vulgaris was there, appearing at ease in its tank, but where were the toys??!!

[​IMG]

Mixed feelings about the whole deal, glad to have seen how things can be a lot better at i.e. the Steinhart or the NEAQ. One thing worth looking up for at the associated museum was the suspended model of Architeuthis dux, sans tentacules, flanked by a model GPO.

[​IMG]

As always, one exits the museum/aquarium via the shop, time for hamming action by my friend Peter :smile:

[​IMG]

Outside, another fairly large octo showed itself in the failing light of late afternoon.... Epic proportions, can you say "monsterquest"? :wink:

[​IMG]

Had a nice afternoon, but can't help feeling a bit awkward about conditions in the tanks versus average Monegascan yearly income.

Still, can't pass up a good aquarium, when I see one!

2. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I remember it as a nice aquarium, but it's been so many years since I've been there (25 years, I think) that I can't remember what they had. That's a pretty sad looking nautilus.

3. lance

lance Wonderpus Registered

is monaco in spain

Monaco that is in spain?

lance

4. OB

Not quite, Lance, it's a small city state on the mediterranean coast, cradled by the alpes maritimes, bordering on Italy and France on either side. It's also a tax evader's paradise, but that was, alas, not the reason of my visit :wink:

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Nice pics, I wish I didn't despise aquariums so much. Beautiful sculpture, though.

6. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

ouch!

7. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

man do you get around:wink:

8. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Nothing personal, Jean. It is just that after working in the trade for so many years, I have a real issue with most of them.

I agree, the public needs to see animals in captivity in order to relate to them, but most of the organizations that exist out here are purely corrupt, and don't have keepers of your quality. My mistake for making such a sweeping statement, but the last experience with the local aquarium made me want to gag.

9. OB

It's all he does.. It's what he does... And he never stops!!!! :wink:

10. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

That's OK I didn't really take offense :grin: We jump through hoops for our ethics committee but I do understand that other facilities are not so well controlled!

J

11. lance

lance Wonderpus Registered

thanks ob

12. Damien

Damien O. vulgaris Registered

Monaco :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco

Monaco is not a a part of France but is not fully independent ( it's a little bit special)

This museum and aquarium are parts of the Albert the First fondation : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_I,_Prince_of_Monaco

This museum and aquarium is very interesting. The aquarium is not the biggest near the French Coast, but the museum is very attractive, it contains samples found with oceanographic survey of the Azores ( and not only of this times). This include partial or full deep sea ceph samples.

The fondation lead the Paris oceanographic institute ( library and research facilities). There are public meeting about oceanographic themes at this institute. The next one will talk about life in abyss ( November 18 ).

13. sorseress

I was there maybe 25 years ago. It was certainly a nice, ableit small, aquarium then.

14. OB

Oooh, one ban, coming up....

15. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

With all the new trickery, I am with Monty, don't hesitate just remove and ban. If we make a mistake and there was actually an interest, they can complain to the captain.

16. sorseress

What did I miss? What ban?

17. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

We have been getting a creative group of spammers. They write an innocent but senseless post on an old thread, then come back and add links to their signature or inappropriate photos. The one that I fly swatted was earmarked by OB but because it was not offensive (just nonsensical) he did not rush in with the DDT. I feel that these posts are harmful to meaningful threads and see no reason to wait until they decide to sting.

Getting mean with my new found powers :gigas: