a question of cost

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Craig, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Craig

Craig Cuttlefish Registered

here i am trying to set up a reef tank which might eventually also house some sepiola atlantica (which ive researched and found can quite happily cope with slightly warmer waters and smaller tanks, 4-5 in a 10 gal tank) this tank is a practice run before i have a go at keeping true cuttles such as bandenasis. anyway forget the sepiola for now but i trekked down to my local pet store today and was shocked at the price to get started and was wondering if it was the norm. a 24 gal tank (nano cube to be specific) live rock, salt and hydrometer was coming up in the region of £500 gbp (thats roughly $900 usd) and im quite sure that dosnt even come with a skimmer or anything. all in all im really asking 2 questions,
    1) is this the kind of price i should be expecting to set up a basic reef tank?
    2) is there anything from the above list im missing with regards to a reef tank and maybe eventually sepiola?

any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance

2. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

That price is high I could get the same stuff for $500 usd or less.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Is Sepiola Atlantica the same as a Bobtail Squid?

My girlfriend really, really, really likes Bobtail Squids and I didn't know they were the least bit available for hobbyists.

4. Craig

Craig Cuttlefish Registered

yeah its a bobtail squid but generally speaking they arent available for hobbyists. However i found this article http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Sepiola.html and from what ive read there it seems a do-able and sustainable idea, though more research is needed. The big downside, from what i can tell is the need for lower temperatures and very short lifespan (6 months at most) the only reason i might be able to give it a go is that they are native to my local waters and my university sometimes accidently pulls up specimens while sampling, and they are willing to let me have any they find once my tanks established... if i ever get to it (which is code for, if it ever stops looking more and more expensive)