• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

A Noob That Wants An Octopus

Well ill be downstairs when i have this tank, so we should be good on that. And that is true, one of my LFS told me that whatever they catch is on the list but that was from a poor bad pet store, this other guy told me that he can get in quite a few but i just want to tell him which kind i want and hope that he can get me one, can anyone tell me some specie names so i can google them? Thanks.

Well again, the best advice is to read. So many of our octopus slaves have written loving journals, with accompanying pictures or videos about the wonderful little creatures who rule their lives. Read those and you will learn a great deal about the various species, their habits, their appearance, their needs. I'm sure after you have done that, that you will know which species you most want. Happy reading!

Yes, as Sorseress just said, you should look through the journals and photos forum and check out the different octopuses people have been keeping recently. Along with most of the pictures and videos will be the species names, sizes, etc. And you will get an idea of what particular species suits your taste and how to prepare for them.

I love my O. briareus, and it is pretty (haha... I just called an octopus "pretty"), but it doesn't have the broad range of colors and textures of other species. All the same, the character is great. I would suggest O. hummelincki, the Caribbean Two-Spot if you want to see a lot of varied textures and colors. Very similar to O. vulgaris but much smaller and day active.

Plus O. Hummelincki don't demand a chiller as do most other species of octos (water temperature in the 60's to low 70's). Hummelincki prefer a water temperature of about 78, so that will save you a good chunk of change. My Hummelincki has a wide range of color, is very active during the day, and is very friendly.

Alright well i found out the 2 octopuses i would like to get and that would be the hummelincki and the bimac. So i understand these 2 species need a 55 minimum right?? I would also like to know there life span on the 2.

If you can find a bimac that was captive bred, you will be able to get a fairly good idea of it's potential lifespan. We have had breeders in the tonmo community, but I don't know if anyone is doing this right now. Anytime you get a wild caught octopus, no matter what the species, it's just a matter of luck whether you get a younger one or an older octopus nearing senescence. I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to breed hummelincki.

Well i was watching a video on youtube and i see that hummelincki lay thousands of eggs, is this true?? Oh and your saying if i get a baby then i have a better chance of it living for a while?? Oh but still what are there life spans??

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back