A Nice Gault Clay Ammonite

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Here's another rather nice specimen of the Albian ammonite Hoplites spathi. This example was found by my Visigoth-like sister a year or so ago in Folkestone and unfortunately broke into two pieces as she brutally manhandled it from a clay outcrop.

It is a rather nice specimen that could do with with a good clean and drill to remove the rocky matrix encrusted in the centre. I do not have the appropriate tools to do this so any volunteers are most welcome!

Here's three pictures, the first myself holding it together, and the second with a plastic model of Mr Burns to provide scale!

Attachments

spartacus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Mr. Phil, that's one good lookin' Hoplites you've got there, did your sis have Weetabix for brekky ?

isn't Hoplites one of the super species found globally ?

nice, clean breaks hold together using good quality PVA (sparingly) & it dries clear :thumbsup:

AndyS is a time served prepper, I sadly am still but a novice but if you insist I could pick it up on my visit to Blighty next week though I cannot guarantee it's safe return as I may end up loving, hugging & calling it George ! :heart:

try having a go with a Draper tools carbide tipped rock etcher (£3), they're the biz, UKGE do 'em if you can't find one locally, best £3 I ever spent except for the Norfolk Sweet at Banham Cider House :roll:
(Santa brought me a new air chisel courtesy of KM, I'm soooooooooo spoilt :lol: )

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
A new bok is available on the Gault Clay ammonites of SE England if anyone is interested. I have just obtained a copy and it's quite stunning, containing many photographs in full colour. The book is, I believe, a limited one-run only publication by the author.

There is very little discussion of ammonite biology and it is really only of practical use in identifying finds. It seems to consist of a hard copy print of the gaultammonite website with little new material.

Still, completists may be interested:

http://www.gaultammonite.co.uk/Pages/new_book.htm

Echioceras

Cuttlefish
Registered
I wish I had even the opportunity to find such fossils! I'm trying hard to convince my parents to take me to Lyme Regis, but so far, no success :sad:
I do have an Eocene garden, but unfortunately that is my least favourite era and most worthwhile fossils are probably deep underground (plus I'm not allowed to dig the garden up).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elaina Rose

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak