• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

A new octo :)

Hi stits (and everyone),

Fifty gallons is a fine size for a bimac! That's about the size of the tank I have for mine. You have a lot of live rock, too.

Most people consider the bimac the best octopus to keep, so if that's what you have, all the the better!

Nancy

When I checked online, seems they did! And I think Nancy may have just gotten hers from him! You can call him as the site lists a phone number.

Carol :smile:

50 gallons is okay? Not to sound silly or go agianst the voice of reason but a full grown bimac's funnel can be the size of your fist. I've never measured one but I would have to say that from hear to the tip of a tentacle is at least three feet "one meter". I mean the only bimac I have seen for sure was about two years ago and it appeared to be very unhappy "constantly looking to hide moving rocks about ect" in a 40 so they moved it to a 120 they have and it seems to be allot better off. Um, out of curiosity do they grow to the size of there environment?

Maybe there's a mixup here between Octopus bimaculoides, what we usually think of as a bimac, and a closly related species, Octopus bimaculatus.

Bimaculoides as an adult has a body about 4 3/4", and arms to almost 14". Bimaculatus is much larger, with an 8" body and arms to almost 32".

Fifty gallons should be fine for O. bimaculoides, which is what I have, and which is much more commonly sold as a pet than its larger cousin.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back