A dive with several O. bimaculoides (video)

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by textilet, Jan 19, 2013.

1. textilet

textilet Larval Mass Registered

It took some time to make a good I.D. but upon close examination of the footage, these Octos are Octopus bimaculoides. My brother and I discovered a group of at least 11 adults living together in an artificial reef structure. There are piles of discarded crab and mussel shells scattered around their home. Having only seen juvenile octos in this area we were surprised to suddenly find so many adults had taken up residence. They were out and about in daylight, and only showed an inclination to hide when approached very closely.

http://vimeo.com/55454085

Teacher Kim, tonmo and DWhatley like this.
  2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Nice video. It does an especially good job on the ID and habitat for the bimacs - THANKS!

3. textilet

textilet Larval Mass Registered

What happened to the video link

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Humm, what browser are you using? I fixed the embed code to work with our forum software (regular embed code does not work) and can see the video with IE and Chrome but Firefox tells me I need an addition add-in (I may not have flash installed). I added a non-video URL link. See if that works.

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

This is a great video -- thanks for sharing textilet!! If you haven't seen our thread on octopuses living in groups, I highly recommend - this is a great related vid; I'll cross-reference it.