A Couple of LIGHTING questions

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Those are power compact UV lights...meant for reef systems! I would use only one bulb on the tank for octos (the daylight, not the actinic)...or just get a regular flourescent fixture...those pc's will overlight the tank!
Greg

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
haha i thought they were to bright :lol:.

I took the blue one (actinic) out, and i must say it makes the tank look alot less attractive, but if it is what is best its a small if any sacrifice.
or just get a regular flourescent fixture....
what exactly do you mean by that?

thanks a bunch for all your help.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rockthis,
I was just looking at your tank parameters on the Octo Database. Is your temperature still 82 degrees? If it is, you need to bring that down before you get a bimac. Maybe the lights are contributing a lot of heat. So let us know what your temperature is, then maybe we can help.

Nancy

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
yes it is still 82 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I am hoping that the lights are a relatively big part of this heat. Right now it is summer so i am also hoping that as things cool down so will my tank. I dont have a sump so the swamp cooling method wont really work ( a fan wont fit on top of the tank). So i am really stressing about this temperature thing (maybe i will ink :P )

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
You could move the power compacts off of the top of the tank by using ceiling hooks and suspending them from your ceiling...if you get them about 16" off of the top of the water, they won't have any effect on your tank temp. Many of the power compacts also come with acrylic stands to hold them away from the tank...did yours?
Re: fluorescents...I meant just buy a regular fl. fixture to replace the pc's with...you could use them on your new reef tank! What??? You haven't gotten another tank yet???? :lol: Don't worry...it is an addiction...I started with a couple of tanks, and now I have rooms of them! Thank god my wife likes the sound of running water!
Greg

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Regular 48" flourescent fixtures are less than 8 bucks at home depot. That's really all you need for a cephalopod. Cheers, Jimbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sputnik

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards