A. aculeatus

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Well, I know it's been WAY too long since I've checked in, but I'm happy to do so with good news of a new octo. I got it a week and a half ago from Live Aquaria. Of course, the next day they got one in at the LFS! Always seems to work that way...

I got a shot of the packaging, which was excellent as usual but it was still too warm as it was a hot day here. When I pulled out the bag, the octo was surfing the top of the inside, completely out of the water. I had an acclimation bucket and drip line all set up, but the octo was having none of it. I opened the bag near the tank thinking he'd fall into the bucket, but he started skimming along the outside surface of the bag- and he was fast! My 10 year old (in the photo) and her friend were my assistants, and they need more training! The best we could do was open the tank and hold the bag above it. The octo totally got it and jumped right in to the tank. One of the girls dumped the water right away, so I got no info on temp or parameters at all. Totally amateur!!!

It hid right away and I saw very little of it the first couple of days. By day 4 it had taken up residence in the barnacle right in the front of the tank! He's doing fine, no thanks to his welcoming... He's very interested in what's going on, but still too shy to come all the way out if we're paying attention. Still, he watches us from his home most the day, using a shell as a door for the brightest part of the day when he sleeps. He does come out after dark in the red lights a lot, but once you "catch" him out playing, he slinks back to his hide out to spy on you. He will sit and watch me watch him for a whole evening, which is nice. Now that I'm more comfortable that he's made it through the lack of acclimation, I'll start working on being more social.

After all that, you'd think I'd have a name for him! It's been so super crazy around here, that a new octopus isn't that big a deal!

Attachments

• conv_304507.jpg
    conv_304507.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 134
  • conv_304508.jpg
    conv_304508.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 141
  • conv_304509.jpg
    conv_304509.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 151
  • conv_304510.jpg
    conv_304510.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 105
It's hot here. It's REALLY hot for MI. My little guy is o.k. but seems to be panting a bit today. The air is on interruptable service, and now the temp in the living room is 84F- I never let it get hotter than 79F in the house because of the tanks and herps! Gonna go do a H2O change and cool things down a bit!

Those of us that expect the temperatures the northern states are experiencing this year need to understand that many homes (as well as, unthinkably in the south, cars) don't have central AC and the current demand for cooling electricity is more than the electric companies normally need to worry about. It would seem that the slow down in manufacturing in Detroit would provide for the higher AC demand though. Having barely survived the summer without AC last year, you have my sympathies. I keep frozen RO bottled water in the freezer and used it continuously in the tanks and sumps last summer ( since I am working we are spending the $300+ extra a month this year to keep the house at 78).

Little guy gone

Well, this is a way overdue post! The little guy (never named) had lots of fun until he died, about 2 weeks after the last post. As I posted on D's new journal, whenever I get an abdopus in the summer, it's going to be "old." The consolation for the short time together is that they are usually so friendly.

After all the craziness of this summer (broken leg for one girl, wildly fluctuating blood sugars for the other, hormonal arguements with both everyday), and feeling sad at the loss of another octopus, I broke down and bought FISH for that tank. I promised myself a long time ago that if I happened into a pair of maroon clowns, I'd get them. After attending the Marine Breeding Initiative workshop this summer (another post LONG overdue) I'm all fired up. Of course, I also bought the 75 gal tank that was on sale for $99... Once it's up and running, then I can decide if the fish move or if octos get the bedroom tank!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back