• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

90 gallon custom cuttlefish finally almost done

So my tank is just about ready. It is at least presentable enough so that I can show it off. Tank is a custom perfecto 36x24x24 eurobraced with starphire front pane. Starphire is much clearer then regular glass. Finally finished the plumbing. I am just waiting on a few parts for my skimmer. I bought a bubble king mini 200 used for just $400. Normally the skimmer is well over 1k. I thought it was great. From a local reef shop that was missing a few parts. They told me they'd be in within 2 weeks. Well 6 later they aren't here so I've ordered them from another place. Just a couple of screws and one plumbing part is stopping me from using it. Real frustrating.

I made the sump myself just a simple 29g with a skimmer section, bubble trap and refugiem. It's a little messy but it works.

I really like the colour of the paint I used for the background. It'd darker then in my reef tank. I originally planned for a more exotic aquascape but I went with a simple approach and just a few acrylic rods. There's about 95lbs of rock in the tank.

The tank is lit by just 2x39 but I think its a little too dark. I will consider adding an additional 2 bulbs so corals look a little better. For now it's fine with just a couple of soft corals inside.

The cuttlefish are still a bit too small to go in and there is still a touch of nitrate, just 5ppm but should drop to zero soon. Added cheato and a small light to the fuge. Still thinking about a remote dsb.

Here are the pics:

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

sept7thfts.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OxZoGqFQrPI/SqV2Bgj5zuI/AAAAAAAAAjA/5nxE8EsZzwE/s800/IMG_1965.JPG

Some updates. My soul survivor is getting close to full grown. I'd say he's around 3.5 now. He now eats silversides in addition to shore shrimp. He can handle about 5 a day so my stock will soon be depleted at which time I hope he can survive entirely on frozen which shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to pick up some uncooked shrimp from the grocery store later. He eats off a feeding stick or a fishing line. I couldn't find any fishing line so I made the stick first.

The tank itself is looking half decent. Added some colour with some red macro algae and a neon green singulaira from austraillia. I'm starting to dislike the yellow lights so I'll be switching the bulbs soon. I'm just using the stock 10k actnic setup so I think I'll switch both to 14k bulbs. I am also going to add 2 more bulbs that will be on for just a couple hours a day to display the corals better.

In the next week or 2 I'll be getting some more cuttlefish eggs and starting the cycle all over. Hopefully this time no tank breaks and I'll end up with at least 5 or 6 to go in the 90 gallon.

IMGP7149.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

hobogato;144893 said:
very nice! is that a koralia? what did you use to screen it to make it safe for the cuttles?

That is a korilla I'm just using mesh that you use to make mesh wheel modifications to protien skimmers.

This is not permanent. I had a vortech MP40 but sadly it broke and I haven't gotten around to sending it in. I imagine it will cost a couple hundred bucks to fix too. Once I get that fixed I'll probably add one more small powerhead maybe an mp10 and that's it. Those come with the foam covers.

I don't like using korillas long term as they have a tendency to leak stray voltage.

Here's a couple of new photos. I wanted to get one of him eating off the feeding stick but I could not hold it and the camera. By the time I had it in my hand he pulled the silverside off and was retreating and I just got the one photo.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back