• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

8th International Symposium Cephalopods Present and Past

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Only two weeks till abstract submission deadline

Second circular can be downloaded from HERE

Topical Sessions
Exceptional preservation, Taphonomic studies and biases in the study of fossil cephalopods
Characters, Genes, Species and Phylogeny
Ecology of cephalopods, Trophic relationships
Biodiversity of Cephalopods: from micro- to macroevolutionary scale
Ontogeny, Life Trait History, Behavior and Habitat
Contribution of new technologies to the understanding of fossil and modern cephalopods
First cephalopods and their diversification

Special topical session
Nautilus as an endangered species
Chairs: Neil H. Landman & Royal Mapes
Nautilus and Allonautilus are the last surviving externally shelled cephalopods. These taxa are being considered
for listing by CITES as being endangered. As experts on cephalopods, we have been asked to provide
information to help evaluate the status of these two genera. Therefore, a topical session is proposed on this
subject. Data that bear on this question include nautiloid phylogeny, predators, rate of growth, longevity, mode
of reproduction, role in the marine ecosystem, size of populations, and geographic distribution. After individual
presentations, it is hoped that a discussion will follow leading to a summary statement regarding the status of
Nautilus and Allonautilus.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
This looks great! Thanks for keeping us posted, Kevin. Wish I could be there.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Be sure to report back. A little journal would be wonderful :wink:. It seems that the French have done a lot more octopus research than any other country (at least in the past).

I always wanted to visit France but failed even to do a day in Paris during the one opportunity that was available.

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
Awesome! Do you think I could get a copy of your paper?

I wish I could be there -- unfortunately I don't think I've got a good excuse to travel to France for a conference on the wrong phylum, as I'm presently working on a project having to do with Paleozoic crinoids...

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
hallucigenia;159530 said:
Awesome! Do you think I could get a copy of your paper?

I wish I could be there -- unfortunately I don't think I've got a good excuse to travel to France for a conference on the wrong phylum, as I'm presently working on a project having to do with Paleozoic crinoids...
PM me your Email and I will send a few. :smile:

Crinoids are cool, find some cephalopod eggs attached to some and you'd have a ticket to France. :sly:

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
I suspect she found it on the first sentence of pg 116 actually:

"A detailed description of the fishing effects are recommended to asses with the sustainable yield to maintain the exploited population stable and prevent over fishing." :heee:

Stavros

GPO
Registered
Kevin, I'd love to read your articles as well. Roland Anderson recommended this conference as a lot of "usual suspects" will be presenting. Shame that university starts just before this though.

A few other cephalopod presentations:
There will be a few octopus and cuttlefish posters at Animal Behavior Society annual meeting next week in Williamsburg, Virginia in case anyone lives near and would be interested to attend.

Also, there will be an ceph symposium next month at Salamanca, Spain during the International Society for Neuroethology meeting.

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I read a lot of the abstracts, Great work Kevin. Did you meet Dirk Fuchs? He is working on some of our Cretaceous cephalopods from Vancouver Island.

Members online