6 Months for Ollie

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi all,

Today is the 6 month anniversary of Ollie's arrival. Happy to report that he's doing well and is hunting small shrimp at this moment.

Here is a pic - there is a slight double image becasue of the curved class on my aquarium front - but it's Ollie, up at the waterline hunting shrimp.

Nancy

He looks so big and healthy!!! I was looking at some old shots of Ink and the growth is just amazing!!! We should start a board with before and present shots to compare the differences of everyones!!!!

Carol

Nancy, you need to try and post a pic of Ollie next to a hand or something for size reference... :smile: Just so we can see just how big he really is!

C

OK, I'll work on that. The funny thing about Ollie (and all bimacs, I suppose) is that he can be different sizes, bigger or smaller. Maybe he makes himself larger by filling his mantle with water and extending his arms. I've found it very difficult to measure him, but I get the impression that he is larger than the standard bimac dimensions.

Nancy

Here's my attempt at measuring! Ink thought it was a game!! Looked like he was cramming his eyeball to watch every move! Not sure what I ended up measuring, but he seemed to enjoy the attention!!

Carol

That is such a great pic of Ink being measured, Carol!

As for Ollie's size - I'm reposting the pic here because the magnet is about 4 inches long. So the distance from his eye to the tip of his mantle is at least 6 inches, and I've measured his arms at over 14 inches. His arms are quite substantial, too (and really fun to touch!).

Nancy

Nancy said:
That is such a great pic of Ink being measured, Carol!

As for Ollie's size - I'm reposting the pic here because the magnet is about 4 inches long. So the distance from his eye to the tip of his mantle is at least 6 inches, and I've measured his arms at over 14 inches. His arms are quite substantial, too (and really fun to touch!).

Nancy
Nancy do u enjoy touching you're big and healthy octo?
I LOVE touching octopuses and letting them feel me with pleasure and curiosity. It feels good.
They feel soo squishy, and soft and slippery when they touch you.
It's amazing. And they feel lovable.
That's why I love BIG octopuses becuase u can feel them more with all the suckers and arms.

Yes, I like touching my octopus. (I think he likes touching me, too)

You're right, he does feel soft and squishy and a bit slippery. The place under his eyes where Ollie likes to be rubbed is very muscular so feels a bit different, but still very nice.

It took a long time for Ollie to trust me enough to let me touch him. Now he expects (or even demands) it several times a day!

Nancy

Nancy said:
Yes, I like touching my octopus. (I think he likes touching me, too)

You're right, he does feel soft and squishy and a bit slippery. The place under his eyes where Ollie likes to be rubbed is very muscular so feels a bit different, but still very nice.

It took a long time for Ollie to trust me enough to let me touch him. Now he expects (or even demands) it several times a day!

Nancy

awww, I WISH I could go 2 you're house and touch it ALL day.
Have u ever took ollie out of his tank and let him walk around the house with you? LOL.
When octopus are out of the water they feel more slimy and softer.
How long could Ollie last out of the water?

No, I'm not going to take Ollie out of the water and let him walk around the house! :smile:

Ollie has a good view of things from his tank. About a month ago he was very curious about the world outside his tank, so we allowed him to climb up and sit on the edge of his tank and feel all around it, while we were there to help him. That seemed to satisfy his curiosity. Since then he hasn't wanted to come out again. I tape up the tank very well so he can't go exploring on his own, too.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back