6-Legged Hexapus in the News

Interesting.

On Cephbase I'm sure I remember reading about several O. briareus that were born with more or less than 8 arms, captions under photographs.

Clem,
It is my guess that the little guys go into the crab and lobster traps for the bait rather than the catch. Trapper (my original Merc) was caught in a stone crab trap and I remember Nancy posting a note about a biologist that fed octos chicken necks. Just an anicdotal theory of course.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Here's the pics I was talking about.

Cb0066.jpg

10 armed briareus
Cb0065.jpg

birth defect 2 tips on one arm

Another good subject for our post-docs. Maybe it could be combined with nutrition :sagrin:. I remember Kat posting some kind of birth defects in the squid she was collecting for her thesis.

dwhatley;112097 said:
Clem,
It is my guess that the little guys go into the crab and lobster traps for the bait rather than the catch. Trapper (my original Merc) was caught in a stone crab trap and I remember Nancy posting a note about a biologist that fed octos chicken necks. Just an anicdotal theory of course.

Nope they're after the rock lobsters. Octos are a common bycatch in the Rock Lobster fishery in New Zealand and the fishers :mad:HATE:mad: them as what they pull up looks promising until they see the octopus and realise that all the lobsters will just be shells. In the year 01/10/06-30/09/07 approximately fifty three and a half tonnes of octos were pulled up by fishers who were targetting rock lobsters.

On an unrelated note I recently saw a photo of an antarctic octopus that appeared to have only seven arms. It didn't look damaged although it's possible one of them could have been tucked underneath but the way it had been placed for the photo makes me think that wouldn't be the case

Six-Legged Octopus Discovered at English Aquarium
[SIZE=-1]FOXNews - Mar 4, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]That's what zookeepers at the Blackpool Sea Life Centre in northern England call their six-legged octopus, who was fished out of the Irish Sea off Wales ...[/SIZE]

More...

Welcome for octopus with six legs
[SIZE=-1]Fish Update, UK - Mar 6, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]... Duckhouse said: "We've scoured the internet and talked to lots of other aquariums and no-one has ever heard of another case of a six-legged octopus. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Free Henry" say animal campaigners [SIZE=-1]Blackpool Gazette[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BREAKING NEWS - Free Henry the Hexapus! [SIZE=-1]North Wales Chronicle[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 4 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

[SIZE=-2]CNN International[/SIZE]

World's first six-legged octopus discovered
[SIZE=-1]CNN International - Mar 4, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CNN's Saeed Ahmed (CNN) -- English marine experts have laid their hands on an octopus that's missing two of its own: a six-limbed creature that they have ...[/SIZE]

More...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back