• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

6 eggs coming tomorrow, would a 7g tank be too big?

Could i keep my cuttle eggs in a 7g tank and keep them in there til they get too big and put a male/female in my 30g? Or would a 7g be too big even if i flood feed? (i have heard mixed results with flood feeding) Or should i just stick to the good old breeder net/in tank refugium?

Well since its getting to be 10 hrs from delivery im going with the in tank refugium with panty hose around it so they dont fall out of the holes and no sand on the bottom with some caulerpa when it comes in the mail with my seahorses either tomorrow or thursday.

To whoever didnt get a chance to see this and respond yet i appreciate it anyway since i know, whoever you are, would have. since this forum has always shown nothing but love for everybody including myself.

Thank you TONMO.

Unfortunately, I am not the best to answer andam late looking in on the site as I have been studying all night for a JavaScript test. Prior answers have been to stay with a breeding net in a larger tank (ie lots of water volume but contained space for feeding and monitoring).

I've noticed that flood feeding tends to scare the baby cuttles into not feeding as well. But if I put in less feeders than there are cuttles they seem to all go into feeding frenzy mood. Like there isn't enough food to go around so I better get what I can. I have 22 baby cuttles (11 in each of 2 breeder nets) and only put in 5 or 6 mysids to start, then as soon as I see they're all gone I'll put in 5 or 6 more. They seem to feed more readily when food isn't always available.

I don't think a 7 g is too big, but you may have more work keeping track of all the babies, especially if you use any type of substrate. The cuttles shouldn't have an issue finding any food, mine will swim across the breeder net if they happen to see food moving around. It would probably be a lot easier to get a breeder net and hang it in your 30 gallon or another tank and take care of them that way.

Yea i didnt plan on flood feeding just brought it up for conversations sake. Squishy thats good info and a good idea to feed less food than cuttles, makes perfect sense.

Like i said i went with my in tank refugium, bare bottom with macro coming on Friday.

Thanks for the input guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back