55 Gal vs 75 Gal for first time octo owner?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by thestaton, Oct 12, 2004.

1. thestaton

thestaton Larval Mass Registered

Hello everyone and thanks for a great website. I've been reading for a few months now trying to learn as much as possible. I've finally saved up enough money to go on and buy my inital setup and am ready to get some damsels and have them get my tank ready to rock! Right now I'm torn between the 55 gallon and 75 gallon tank. One of my limiting factors is the fact I am living in a dorm room and its not exactly a mansion :) My friend has a 75 gallon but it does take up quite a bit of room and I wonder if the 55 gallon would suffice for my Octo? Also what are the opinions of going Glass vs Acrylic? Thanks for all the help and I look forward to seeing my Octo in about 3 months :)

Staton

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

First of all, welcome!
    Bigger is always better...but a 55 would be just fine for a bimac...I really like acrylic more than I do glass, but the cost is a bit higher, and removing corraline algae is next to impossible...so your maintenance is a bit tougher...a glass 55 would all in all, be the best 'round...
    greg

3. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

Hi there dorm-dweller!

I probably had a larger dorm room than you do, but I had my 75 gallon snowflake moray tank set up in mine. Yeah, it took up lots of space, but with my bed bunked and my desk and computer underneath it, it worked well enough.

If i had the choice between 75 or 55, i'm not sure what i would pick. 75 meant more room for my moray. But for an octo, i'd definately go for 55.

4. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

*cough* of course, to me space wasn't all thaaat important... i also had a 20 gal and a 29 gal setup in the dorm at the same time as the 75... :roll:

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Where did you keep your "etchings"???? :D