• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

55 gal tank setup

ok so looks like i needa ask some questions now :wink:

1) i have the tank and standnow... waiting for the sump/skimmer/heater
2) should i a: buy LR+LS and scape it all
b: wait til i have the other drygoods before i do b
3) any suggestions to get this going?

the sump that is tentative is 30x12x12 and the skimmer is (still waiting to buy) a ASM G1, that sump will be a good size correct? it has a refu in it also

ha i know ppl asking such questions must get annoying, but i dont exactly wanna spend all this money and screw it all up, im just being a bit cautious

The sump size is fine. Make sure it fits in the stand....you have a 55, right?

Get your sump and your plumbing all hooked up before adding the live rock. Sometimes the plumbing needs a few iterations between it works right :smile:

Dan

It would probably be best to have saltwater in the tank before the live sand/live rock. The longer the stuff is out of the water, the less of it is still alive. Live sand is pretty expensive and a lot of people don't think its worth it...If you get good live rock it should have plenty of life that will "colonize" the rest of the system.

Dan

oh ok... so just add all the water and such.....
well that leads to another question

what kinda water should i use and what kinda salt? i see alot about "instant ocean"

You should use purified (Reverse osmosis and deionized) water. Any of the commercial salt mixes (Instant Ocean, Oceanic, Kent...) should do.

If you're looking for more general information about setting up saltwater tanks you might check out www.reefcentral.com. Their message boards are a treasure trove of information for you to sift through.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back