• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

54 gallon corner bow

rudy

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I am getting an oceanic system for my octopus. This is tank I want as its fits perfectly upstairs.

Question is should I go with no overflow or with overflow? I would like to go with an overflow so I can hide the skimmer and cut the noise down, I just worry about the octopus getting into the overflow.

Are there ways to octoproof this system?

I have an Oceanic Systems tank with an overflow. We cut a piece of acrylic to fit over the open top of the overflow and attached it with a duct tape hinge at the back above the water line. We had no trouble with an octopus in the overflow.

I suppose you could think of other ways to more fully secure it, like drilling a hole at the front of the lid and tying it down through the overflow holes.

Nancy

So far so good with Trapper and our TIGHT sponge in the overflow. We keep the sponge about 1/2 under the water line. It is about 4" thick and two inches wider and longer than the overflow opening. The sponge has a fairly rough texture and that may be part of the success (so far). Weekly rinsing seems to be plenty to keep it clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back