• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

5 Cuttle eggs coming tomorrow

My cuttle ate for the first time today. It only took just over 24 hours for it to want to eat, and it even had the appetite for 2 mysids within a 1 hour time frame.

Is it possible to overfeed my Cuttles? Because if its not I'm gonna go nuts and put this guy on the heavy end of the scale :sagrin:

YEA on the cuttle hatching...pretty exciting stuff. With regard to feeding too much. When you are feeding live food you really only want to put in what you think they are going to eat. I find that mine get spooked from time to time and ink if the live food scares them when they aren't paying attention. If you were feeding frozen food then you definitely only want to feed what they eat our you have a potential issue with the rotting food that isn't eaten. Bad, bad, bad. You can' really overfeed - they aren't beagles or goats that just eat because it's there.

Today when walked up to my tank to see if any eggs hatched (they didn't) the little hatchling I do have went nuts. It had inked itself then jetted in circles for nearly 10 seconds quickly changing from red to brown to white and back again. It was pretty bizzare, I think I'll name him 'Spook' after this morning.

And I'm uploading a short video of him now that might justify the name. Right before I took the video I had moved the breeder box to the other side of the tank to stop my protein skimmer from coating it in bubbles. Vid will be up in a minute.

Edit: Baby Cuttlefish Swimming

Kind of looks like a ghost in the vid.

Alright so pretty much all of my mysid shrimp have eaten eachother and I look to only have about 10 left even though I've put 15 tops in the tank.

But now should I order 100 mysis again for $20 bucks and actually feed them frozen brine (not feeding them was quite obviously my first mistake) or should I order 30 amphipods for $18? What's the difference between how healthy these foods are compared to eachother?

I would continue with the mysid while the cuttles are newly hatched and you are trying to keep them eating. The mysid are easier to catch and also easier to eat. The amphipods have a hard shell and requires more energy to be burned eating. The mysid can be quickly caught and eaten with minimal amount of energy burn. When they get about a month or so then the amphipods are good. You could order the pods as well as it takes about 30 days for the new young to appear and you could get your culture going....just a thought.

Second hatchling today. It's startling to see the size difference between the one that hatched this morning and the one that hatched less than 3 days ago on Monday morning. The older one is pretty much double the size of the new one.

I think I'll just do the mysid for now, I will however check out how to culture the amphipods. My next batch of mysid will be coming on Saturday, and I think I'll actually feed them this time so they last more than a week. But right now I'm out of live mysid, so is there a short term alternative that I can use for today and tomorrow? Will live brine do just for these 2 days?

Oh and did you get your grass shrimp? I have a hefty supply in my fridge and I'm thinking about trying to pick out the smallest one to give to the older cuttle.

They really are looking for something live at that age...and seem to be hard to fool. I think when they are older and you start the transition from live to frozen they are just that hungry they will try it. I would try the brine for frozen mysid but you will have to try and keep them moving - water flow. I think I would forgo the brine for the frozen mysid. Brine don't have much of a nutritional value...especially dead ones.

You know that you are required to post pics...let's see your two!!!

I got my 200 grass shrimp today and put them in a combination of breeder nets and my 5 gallon intank fuge all with covers. Some are in the DT.

Oh my mistake, by brine I meant live brine. And I have about 5 of them in with the cuttles right now but no luck so far. They'll swim right in front of the older one and he'll chase them for a split second but refuses to eat.

Here's a link to all the videos I've taken of the Cuttle, I'm uploading a new one right now that shows the newborn hatchling as well as the old.

Alex Catasus

Up to 3 Cuttles, but no videos of all 3 together until Saturday due to Vimeo caps :[

And I'm worried because the first one hasn't eaten any brine and hasn't eaten any mysid since yesterday morning. If it refuses to eat the brine I hope he can make it till tomorrow for the shipment of mysids :/

Youtube's always been annoying for me, and I'd have to go through the hassle of making an account to just get videos with lesser quality.

And there's only 4 brine in the box now, so hopefully my larger cuttle finally ate. I'm dying to get these mysids in already, I feel bad for these guys :[

Well they only need to endure 12 more hours hopefully. I'm actually skeptical of the smaller two even wanting to eat, I'm more worried about the larger one. He grew so much in 3 days and was eating 2-3 mysids a day, and now he'll be going 2 days with no food at all seeing as how he refuses to eat the brine.

and I've asked 2 separate LFS's if they have tiggerpods or amphipods, and both were a no.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back