40gal Breeder octos

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by fishy12, May 26, 2011.

1. fishy12

fishy12 Blue Ring Registered

Are there any octos for a 40gal breeder? I know o.mercs would work but are there any other ones? And I am asking for 1 that will live its full life in it. Any help?

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

How tall and how long is the breeder? O. hummelincki and A. aculeatus are likely reasonable choices IMO IF you have a sump. 40 gallons is pushing a water quality issue without a sump and height is a concern for keeping a skimmer octoproofed in a shallow tank (normal recommendation is to drop your water line and inch or more below normal (ie 2-3 inches below the top). With a sump, the extra length of a breeder should compensate for the smaller than recommended 50 + gallon tank. If a nocturnal suits you, the small macropus that is sometimes offered from Live Aquaria (I believe they have one now, or did yesterday - see octo availability for a link) would also work. I particularly like this species and have kept both a male and a female but they are VERY nocturnal.

3. fishy12

Alright thanks I beleive the tank was 36 x 18 x 16 or 36 x 16 x 16 i believe it was the first one though. And sorry to say but I can't pull a sump off in the tank cause the stand its on and I can't move it either... So I think octo's are out of the question then. Would a cuttle fish fair off better or would it be worse?

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I have not kept cuttles so hopefully CuttleGirl or Thales will analyze the tank configuration. Do you/are you planning on running a skimmer?

5. fishy12

Yes I want to run a skimmer and will it will be a HOB skimmer. I might just set this tank up as a coral though cause I am working on a 30gal octopus tank too.