4-meter long live squid caught by Japanese fishermen - FIS

Discussion in 'Cephalopod News' started by octobot, Jan 17, 2014.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

4-meter long live squid caught by Japanese fishermen
    FIS
    Experts said the squid, which lost its super-long tentacles during the capture, was likely to have been around 8 metres (26 feet) in total, since the tentacles usually equal the rest of the body in length. These gigantic cephalopods are so rare and ...
    Japanese fishermen catch live giant squid near Niigata PrefectureROCKETNEWS24
    Giant Squid Caught in Japan, Rare Creature Exceeded 13 Feet in Length [VIDEO]Nature World News

all 4 news articles »

Continue reading...

2. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I call BS:

"So far, the National Geographic reports that the largest ever discovered was 18m (59 feet) in length and weighed nearly a tonne"

Simply not true.

It also now appears to be a male specimen? This upsets our conceived knowledge of Architeuthis gender differences, somewhat. Maximum weight has so far been estimated at 275 kg (610 lb) for females and 150 kg (330 lb) for males. This specimen weighed in at 163 kg.

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Boy that 59-footer has really made the rounds though, hasn't it? Btw, someone needs to update this.

4. tonmo

5. OB

6. tonmo

There were a LOT earlier this year in Japan. I literally lost count. Unusual! Can't tell whether it's increased reporting or increased instances.

7. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry... does anyone find it odd that this giant squid swam over the guys head at 8 meters depth? I realize its not impossible for architeuthis to float into shallow waters... but isn't that usually after they die? And I agree with Ob, it's in really good shape, not something you would expect if a giant squid was nearing the end of its life.

I know this is very critical of me, but something about this most recent story doesn't seem right. :sad:

8. OB

The best I can come up with is, the species uses counter shading, indicating either a rather recent migration (of the species) to greater light deprived depths, or a tendency to be at the surface more often than we think? Their paralarvae are planktonic, and live near the surface; maybe they mate in the upper part of the water column? Not likely, I'll admit, we would've caught a lot more in drift nets, rather than just in deep sea trawls, but also not entirely impossible.... *enter twilight zone theme*