30 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by bmasta, Oct 17, 2004.

1. bmasta

bmasta Pygmy Octopus Registered

Is a 30 a definite no for a octo or will it do? By the way this a excellent site.

2. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

I have a thread that is in some ways, practically identical. Look in 'small tank octopus'.

3. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

To save you the trouble of looking, yes, a 30g tank can house certain types of octos. Mainly dwarf octos :octopus:

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Welcome to Tonmo!!! Sure, a 30 can house many types of dwarf octos...the only trouble is, no one is captive breeding them at the moment, so you have them for brief periods...a 55 can hold a bimac for its lifespan, that is why we push that size tank so hard...do you already have a 30?
    Glad you found us,
    greg

5. Cephkid

WHOOPS! ...missed that. :oops:

:welcome: to Tonmo.com!

6. bmasta

Besides dwarfs :) forgot to put that
    no i don't already have the 30 i was just thinking cause its cheaper and it seemed like a decent size for 1 oc

7. Cephkid

Unfortunately, no. There are no(at least that I know of) non-dwarf octos that can go in a 30g. I know, I've looked! (I have one) Jim at octopets might be getting aquacultured Rossia pacifica and Sepia bandensis soon, though. (still waiting for a reply email from him)

8. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I have found a fifty gallon to be a good size for an octo tank from the standpoint of maintenance (provided you don't have a bimac who grows extra large, like mine did- could have used a bigger tank, but we made do!).

A ten percent water change is one of the five gallon jugs that the LFS sells, and this quantity of water fits nicely into the big empty 7 gallon salt buckets. It's about the limit of what I can carry around. A larger tank, and I'd be using more jugs of water, more salt buckets, etc. Taking care of my 19 gallon invertebrate tank seems to be almost as much work.

Nancy

9. bmasta

alright im just gonna get the 50 then i probably gonna get the Bimaculoides kit from octopets thanks for the help

10. Cephkid

Good idea. You can get more stuff! :) I'm stuck waitin for an email from jim.;)