• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

30 gallon octopus tank

john135

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
i'm thinking of making a AIO tank and since the tank is small so will be my pet octopus so what i was wondering was how would i go about covering the overflow holes? i can't just simply glue a mesh on it right?

also was wondering are there anyone with a rimless octopus tank with sealed lids? thanks

So I did this with an AIO. I used a Bio Cube 29g with the hood in tact. It mad a good system for a Merc. Not sure it would be good for any other species. I have found "and correct me if I am wrong" Mercs don't tend to try to escape much. I have an 8g biocube and ended up with what I thought was a merc. I had taken the hood off many years ag and I wasn't going to put it back on for the merc. I have had 4 mercs in Bio cubes and never had any issues with them going into the other compartments. Might want to get some sponge and cover the back compartments but I never did.
As far as I know there are no lids for rimless tanks but its easy to make one. Good luck.

Hi
When you say cover the overflows, do you mean put them out of use or keep them in use?

To eliminate them, your local hardware/Home Depot should have some threading PVC with an end cap

To use the overflows, try adding a grill. Most local fish stores should have plastic grills for bulkheads. Adjust/modify as needed. Or if you can DIY an overflow lid, Your local plastic/acrylic shops should sell scrap acrylic for cheap. I plan to do this myself as a matter a fact :wink:

Here is my DIY overflow and installed so you can get a visual. I will make a lid with holes on top incase my tank overflow, overflows. Not sure but I might thread the lid with some vinyl screws.

Hope it helps.
10.jpg
5.jpg

i'm talking about covering the overflow teeth with wiring cause my system is a aio so i don't have pvc pipes once the octopus goes into the overflow it'll be in my back compartments. so i was wondering does anyone have any pics on how they mesh wire their overflow teeth?

i'm talking about covering the overflow teeth with wiring cause my system is a aio so i don't have pvc pipes once the octopus goes into the overflow it'll be in my back compartments. so i was wondering does anyone have any pics on how they mesh wire their overflow teeth?

I posted my overflow because we are in the same boat, we do not want an Octo going passed the overflow teeth.
Egg crate from home depot is an option.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a mesh net.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back