• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

30 Gallon breeder for Sepia bandensis

HashHavoc

Hatchling
Registered
Hey,
I'm looking to set up a tank to keep a few S. bandensis and am unsure if the tank I currently have would be acceptable, It is a 30 gallon "breeder" measuring 36''x18''x12''. I was reading through the care sheets on S. bandenss and it had mentioned tall tanks are preferable, But is it completely necessary?

I was also curious what the general consensus is on keeping two, perhaps three specimens in a aquarium this size?​

I've not successfully kept cuttles but know that CuttleGirl mentions that a 55 is the smallest she would go for 3. A thirty has been noted as satisfactory for a single animal. Aside from water quality, the tank size seems to impact fighting, particularly between males.

Like D says, its a bit small espically when they get to be 8 months old or so. The tallness isn't that important (we used to think it was), but the overall size as they mature is. :biggrin2:

So your saying its just physical volume were worried about, rather than the footprint?
So I think I'd purchase a 65 gallon with the same 36''x18'' footprint, rather than using the breeder tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back