• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

30 gal cuttles?

chrshlst

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Are there any cuttles that can be shipped to central usa that can be kept in a 30 gal aquarium :?: ? or should i stick with a bimac? I really like cuttles. I don't want to go through the expense of a HUGE :bugout: tank! Thanks

:welcome: to TONMO!

YOu should stick to bimacs since the most common cuttle shipped to the US is Sepia bandensis, and I think that the minimum for them is a 55 gallon. :smile:

What about some small sepiola?? The bobtail Squids... not cuttles but not far off!

See if you can find them somewhere... Octopets?

I'm not really sure on the availability of them but i've kept a few before and they are fantastic. Have bioluminescence!!! They really are very cool!

~Andy

sepiola (bobtails etc.) only live around 6 months (sometimes more) - are near impossible to breed - you may get them near full grown and ready to die - i have had no success getting them in Australia (where they live) let alone shipping them. They are tiny.

They are REALLY COOL though... but i am afraid hat when i looked into them i found them to be too hard for me to even try...though many people have ha great success

Hi andy...

its bad enough for them trying to get cuttles... dont tease them with Sepiola or Rossia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a serious note though, that would be a great species to set up as a captive breeder!

Get one of these guys. They are pretty common over here in the west coast. (well I just been seeing alot of them)

They are Sepia bandensis

Here is a pic of mines
TwoCuttle.gif

Hi there, GoTRiCe19

welcome to TONMO.com

Why not start a new thread on the journals and photos forum and tell us a bit about your tank, cuttles and maintenance etc?

cheers

yeh itd be good to see more cuttle tanks in that section GoTRiCe19 - it looks like an interesting setup! - any problems keeping two sepia together so far?

collin, i thought it was supposed to be very difficult to rear sepiola due to size? i will have to check again but correct me if im wrong - i have approximately 0 experience!!!

for the rest of us - do you know of any sites on breeding cuttles - i have seen righty's page which was quite helpful.

P.S update on getting my first tank - NO progress, still checking the trading post EVERYDAY!!! i wish i had forked out a little extra for a tank i looked at a few months ago!!!

Hi Oscar,

I dont beleive that rearing sepiola would be any more difficult than rearing a large egg species of octopus, it would just be time consuming and lots of live feedings :smile:

One of these days i will be moving house to a bigger place and when i do a lot of these things will be tried :smile:

I also dont know of any sites about breeding cuttles. They are going to hit the market very soon in the USA and that will be interesting to say the least!

Wow thats good news...once i get a few more tanks set up ill give it a try - i hope!!!

Dont need a MASSIVE tank either!! lol

Sounds as if the amount of info on cuttles willo soar - good news for us!

Mushroom Boy said:
They are going to hit the market very soon in the USA and that will be interesting to say the least!
Could you elaborate on that a little bit Colin? Thanks.

Paul (waiting with bated breath in the US :biggrin2: ).

Paul

I spoke with Richard Stride a couple of weeks ago and he had recently sent out a large batch of officinalis eggs to the USA. They will be going on sale to the general public pretty soon as 2" babies... thats about as much as i can say just now, until i get the go ahead, but trust me, all the info you need will be right here :wink:

Colin

absolutely sickened with envy...lol

man are you guys lucky!!

any plans for cuttles in australia collin? let me know if you hear anything....oooohhhh i am writhing!!!!! lol :bugout:

GoTRiCe19 said:
Get one of these guys. They are pretty common over here in the west coast. (well I just been seeing alot of them)

They are Sepia bandensis

Here is a pic of mines
TwoCuttle.gif

Are those the babies you got from me or the ones you got from eggs?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back