• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

3 questions

It sounds like you want a somewhat interactive fish. The behavior you're talking about is usually described in larger aggressive fish, like puffers and triggers. I can't think of any small fish I've had that kind of experience with. If it's a 12 gallon you're talking about I wouldn't suggest either of those. They just get way too big too fast.

i would go with the puffer. a lfs has one and it's so cool! i was thinking about getting one but then i found out that that cool tiny puffer gets big. i wish they were reef safe!

be careful with puffers we find our local species freak out ALOT (Uranostoma richei) they invariably make the other fish ill and then die themselves. So we no longer display them (this happens in holding tanks too)

J

One of our green spotted puffers was dwarfed and stayed about the size of my thumb. It was sickly when we got it. The other one however grew to about 6 inches, and they are one of the smaller puffers. If you set up a freshwater tank you could do "pea" puffers.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back