25-Foot Long Crochet Giant Squid

Well, Sorseress is in the middle of a rather dramatic move right now, but she knits like nobody's business and used to make pretty incredible stuffed animals for me as a child - chief among these being Octavius my rather large teddy-octo...

Maybe if you kept on the pressure, Jean... I don't think ANYBODY makes a messie soft toy...

Actually sewing a Messie would be a lot faster than knitting one. The other upside, if you goofed up too much on it's anatomicals, you would see it quickly. Frogging(which is knitters term for ripping out offending stitches) tends to be discouraging. I would be far less likely to be discouraged if I screwed up sewing a Messie. There are knitting machines, however. Hmmm. Doing a lifesized Messie in tapestry is much more than I could contemplate. I couldn't possibly fit that large a loom in my studio, and considering how large a Messie is, I doubt I'd live that long, unless, of course, I dedicated the rest of my life to it, and believe me, I'm not THAT much of a ceph nut! This will take some thought, but it's intriguing. It has to be life sized, right?

Just re-read Erich's post. He mentioned soft toys, and THEY couldn't be life sized. If I can make them to scale, but toy sized, well, that's extremely doable. I would need good measurements so I could get the dimensions correct. I would also need a lot of info about eyes, suction cup specifics (understanding that beaks, hooks and anything else has to be made of sewable materials. I can't sew plastic, (although soft vinyl, though a pain to work with, can be sewn wth good results) or metal, or anything like that. Besides, who wants a potentially lethal stuffed toy? Nobody is expecting anything soon, I hope. I will have NO furniture when I get to Arizona, I've given everything away. Nobody gets a squid until after I have furniture.
This actually sounds like a fun project to tackle, but I'm not promising anything.
:mesonych:

Ok, honesty demands that I say, my studio doesn't have to be that large to make a tapestry woven life sized Messie. Tapestry looms can have rollers. I lied. I just don't want to. I have a life. Squids rule most of the time, but not always. Sorry Messie.

I think no one will ever do better than Malcolm Clarke's wife.

The famous Dr. Clarke and his wife Dorothy made a museum in their house in Pico (Azores). Half of it, is about the physiology, ecology and behaviour of sperm whales and the other half is about the sperm whales's favorite preys: our lovely cephalopods!

His wife made at least ten plushes of deep-sea squids including Archteuthis...I Went there and it is amazing! You can go down to species level. So much details! from the beaks to the photophores!
here are a few pictures of my visit to the museum:

ohhh...sorry
dont know how to post pictures...can anyone help? :roll:

Sounds Great!

Scroll Down past 'Submit Reply' and click on 'Manage Attachments' you can put upto three pics per post....

Dr. Clarke's museum is, based on the post above, at his residence in Pico in the Azores! Wonder when I'll ever get to the Azores...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back