• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

20G Long as a Rearing Tank

magnetar68

O. vulgaris
Registered
Petco had a $1 per gallon sale, so I bought a couple of tanks for my new setup. Originally, I was thinking of a 29G (30" x 12" x 18") as my rearing tank. Looking at it in the store, it seemed so deep. From watching several videos online of nursery tanks, it appears that the smaller cuttles do not spend a lot of time in the water column. Because I don't have a lot of space in my fish closet, I got a 20G Long (30" x 12" x 12") instead of the 29G.

Any ideas on the downsides of using a 20G Long as a nursey tank? This will be plumbed into my larger system, so I have no concerns about keeping it stable. My concern is whether the cuttles will be OK in the more shallow tank until they are ready to move into the 125G display tank. I plan on also putting the nets or critter keeper for the eggs and hatchlings in this 20G Long.

-Ray

I dont believe that the water depth (disregarding extremes) effects the health of the cuttles. Its just something that the cuttles like. Mine were raised in a 30 gallon tank filled halfway (which is pretty much the same as a 20L). This 30 gallon tank is part of a 75 gallon system, so water quality isn't an issue. Right now, I have my 12 one-inch cuttles in a Critter Keeper about 6 inches deep (drilled and also plumbed into the 75 gallon system).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back