[Non-ceph]: 2018 Weather

I know @corw314 and @WhiteKiboko are in the anticipated landing zone (Charleston, SC area). We (North GA) don't expect to get anything more than rain at this point. Stay try all and please leave if your local government makes the evacuation call.

We live in Moncks Corner SC. So far just wind. Mandatory evacuation but our whole neighborhood is staying. I have a 40 gallon saltwater tank with a dusky jawfish and hermit crabs. Generators ready should power go out. Be safe everyone!!!!

I hope anyone in Ontario is safe. @anothersquid is the only member that I know of. He has reported on Facebook that the tornado came down within about 3 miles from his neighborhood but that it skipped doing direct damage there. He did need to set up his generator because of a longer term power outage.

I saw this on FB. I had driven through this storm on our way to see our son at college. It was the worst rain I had ever driven in. 15 mph on 65 speed limit highway. Such marginal visibility!

I remember that a couple of years ago @corw314 was driving in a similar situation but the tornado touched down in front of them. Earlier this year, something (probably a wind shear and not a full blown tornado took out a very large tree at the top of our driveway. I wonder how many other Tonmo members have been close to one of these.

I hope anyone in Ontario is safe. @anothersquid is the only member that I know of. He has reported on Facebook that the tornado came down within about 3 miles from his neighborhood but that it skipped doing direct damage there. He did need to set up his generator because of a longer term power outage.

Indeed, the nearest tornado passed within 400m of my house - it was the same tornado that landed about 3 miles away, tore up a neighbourhood where a friend lives, blew up the electrical substation that connects that part of the city to the electric grid, then ripped up a business district, picked up for about half a mile, set down again in the forest behind my house (missing a second electrical station), and chewing up a couple of neighbourhoods. If I'd been looking out the kitchen window instead of the front window (I was trying to see the Gatineau tornado), I would have seen that *VERY* close by tornado as it ripped through the forest and tore up the row houses just to the south of me.

Arguably, I shouldn't have been looking out the window for tornadoes at all. I know better, but nobody expects the secret second tornado.

One of my friends got a mildly damaged house (half the windows broken, fence gone, trees gone, car impaled by trees, driveway light post gone, barbecue gone gone as in "flew to the great beyond somewhere", shingles damaged) but it's liveable.

The forest behind my house has obvious squish marks where the tornado blew through.

The big tornado was an EF3 that chewed up a rural village, then skipped over the Ottawa river and chewed up a pretty densely populated, but economically disadvantaged area on the Quebec side.

Surprisingly, nobody was killed in all this. All in all 6 tornadoes came down Friday, 1 far west of Ottawa, 1 in the west end that skipped to Gatineau, the one near my house, and 3 more east of here on the Quebec side.

ottawa-tornado-damage.jpg
This was the village in the west end of Ottawa.

greenbank-road-ottawa-sept-21-2018.PNG
That was the one that zipped past my house.

One bonus... one of my neighbours across the street was just getting work started on new shingles. Well, a bunch of the shingle removal has been taken care of, gratis, by mother nature.

This is the best video from the tornado. If you don't speak French, then you won't notice the swear words :smile:
That's French? :concern:
I wonder if your neighbor's home owners insurance will pay for his new roof :gigas:

Truthfully, though I am glad you and Beth (and the birbs) are OK and hope that it does not take too long for people's lives to get back together. The mental tole must be extreme. Are tornadoes common in Quebec? They are here (mostly in March) but in 50 years, this year was the closest I ever came to one. It was never an official torndo but the probably wind shear took out a lot of trees and the trees took out a lot of roofs. One house was totalled but nothing like what you just went through.

That's French? :concern:

Yep. If you hear a Quebecker talking church words, it's not religion...

I wonder if your neighbor's home owners insurance will pay for his new roof :gigas:

In my neighbourhood, probably. Over in Gatineau, people are less affluent, so there are a lot of people who have lost everything due to no insurance.

Truthfully, though I am glad you and Beth (and the birbs) are OK and hope that it does not take too long for people's lives to get back together. The mental tole must be extreme. Are tornadoes common in Quebec? They are here (mostly in March) but in 50 years, this year was the closest I ever came to one. It was never an official torndo but the probably wind shear took out a lot of trees and the trees took out a lot of roofs. One house was totalled but nothing like what you just went through.

Thanks. One of the little benefits of being security people is that we have some preparations :smile: We now have a shelter in our basement that accommodates birds.

Canada gets more tornadoes than any country in the world except the USA. But Canada has more empty space than the USA, so while they are common enough, it's quite rare that they land on anything that anyone cares about, so you don't hear about them much. So while it's not like the USA, it's a very real danger from Alberta to Quebec.

That said, as a child in Niagara, I remember doing tornado drills in school, and hearing the horns go off. Here in Ottawa, there's been 2-3 tornadoes in the general area every year, sometimes more. They just don't hit the populated area very often (greater Ottawa is about 1.4 million people).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back