2014 Colossal squid Q&A

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
D, the beaks found in sperm whale stomachs vary, but are often large, and we believe sperm whales to be capable of catching the largest Mesos out there, which is why we currently estimate maximum size based on the largest beaks recovered from stomachs.

AC, perhaps you are thinking of the giant squid, Architeuthis dux? Total length for that species is thought to top out around 13m but most of it is arms and tentacles and the whole animal probably maxes out around 300kg. We used to think that the colossal (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni) might reach about 10m including tentacles, but I don't think that's true anymore.

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I suppose that could be a factor, although they eat a fair amount of smaller, agile squids from other families as well. I would think the big squid would be good prey because they'd be the best return on hunting energy investment.

Nathalanti

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Has their been any investigation into attaching a camera to a whale and viewing? I know it's been done to Large Sharks and Humbolt Squid. It could give a view of how the squid falls prey, and thus a little more into it's habits.

Nathalanti

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I was wondering, have we got an idea of the strength of these animals yet? How far / fast can they swim with / without load? Or how much can it reasonably pull with each arm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PortiaMCcollom

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards