• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

200 gallon polythylene tank

:cuttle:My dad has finally agreed we can have a large tank in the new part of the basement. I plan on getting a 200 gallon circular polythylene tank from Carolina Biological Company. I'm going to put an efficient protein skimmer, live rock, and som aquatic plants for hiding. Could i keep a group of Sepia Bandensis in here for a breeding project. If so how many. Is this a big enough tank for a group with limited fighting. Please tell me your thoghts:cuttle::cuttle::cuttle:

You could put a lot in there, 'specially if you did some stuff with rock or something creative to make 3 dimensional space for them to move around. I would say you could go with 15 - 20 in there. You could even divide it and have two groups, and even have floating 'pens' for different sizes. In my opinion, what you are talking about is perfect for breeding S. bandensis. FUN!

Thats an exiting project! Take a look at Thales or my tank design for ideas of large ceph systems. Ive actualy been keeping a better journal of my tank and ceph breeding here

My 150 Cuttle Farm Army Reef! (Picture Intense) - Reef Central Online Community

Since you plan on breeding, you will need a smaller chamber to keep eggs, babies and juveniles. This can be as simple as plumbing in a 10 gallon tank to your main system.

What I consider necessary equipment would be a good skimmer and an RO/DI unit.

Things I think that are important is nitrate export if you want to breed and also aid in keeping your tank free of nuisance algae. This can be with macro algae (in tank or in refugium), or a sulfur denitifier.

I also like phosphate reactors for this really helps bringing phosphates down to 0, which prevents nuisance algae in the tank.

Not to throw a curve ball but Steve mentioned that he felt that the polyethylene containers they tried for the squid babies caused a problem. I don't know it this would relate to cuttles as well but it is something to investigate before buying the tank.

dwhatley;115835 said:
Not to throw a curve ball but Steve mentioned that he felt that the polyethylene containers they tried for the squid babies caused a problem. I don't know it this would relate to cuttles as well but it is something to investigate before buying the tank.

I have a vague memory of this as well, might be best to pm Steve and get the details

J

Some polyethylene plastics use Tolulene as a base solvent, this would leach out in salt water over time. I doubt that Carolina Biological would sell such a product though, especially if they knew what the tank was for.
How about getting an acrylic tank?

We used CB tanks for raising Hawaiian Lionfish, and never had an issue...but they are tough buggers. I'm sure what they are selling is salt safe. Best to talk to them first, though.

well, they are livestock water troughs. and where livestock eat deer and turkey tend to hang out also and they are plump and tasty looking.... at least that's how things are in my town. on my street the lack of gunshots is more worrying than the sound of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back