2 Octopus

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
It's been a while since I have been down the headland with the intention of looking for an octopus. Yesterday I found 2 smallish ones, and yes both are Octopus Tetricus. The first one appears to be a young female with some arms missing, I don't think that she will stay in the den she currently at because it doesn't offer a great deal of protection.

IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg

in the following image you are able to see the missing arms
IMG_0690.jpg

The second one is in the Zoo pool, at the moment I'm not sure of if it's female or male as it has only reached out of the den with 1 arm. This one appears to be quite a bit smaller than the first one and will be safe from predatory fish where it is.

IMG_0583.jpg

Is the "Zoo Pool" the swimming hole? I hope that means it is recovering from being drained! Really great shots! I Love the midden display in the last one. Can I add your video :sagrin: ?

I can't help but wonder if there is a close relationship to our bimaculatus/bimaculoides. With the exception of that identifying white eye, the first three could easily be a bimac if the location was not known.

I really like this video because it show so many aspects of an octopus' behavior as well as changing appearance in a short 2.5 minute clip.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back