2 O.Mercatoris

This morning Zuzu is found sleeping smack in the front on the rockwork, low in a shaded area. In the foreground you can see the remains of an emerald (assuming Zuzu ate) the hermits are finishing up. I was hoping she'd choose an appropriate den. I am thinking this is not common for them to sleep in the open.

100_4876.jpg

dwhatley;151809 said:
Looks like a little blue crab (but CaptFish will know for sure). Knowing me, I would probably try to raise it (I have gotten a few as hitch hikers but they have only lived a few months, never got big enough for Neal to suggest dinner). Ollie will likely thinks it is very yummy.

Hmmm, its not a blue crab, the claws aren't right. And if it were a blue crab it would have been the meanest little bugger you ever came across. Blues are fast and mean! They also have claws that shred, unlike stone crabs that have crushing claws. The one you got seems to have crushing claws.

Attachments

• conv_296023.jpg
    conv_296023.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 85
@CaptFish: What good are you?:wink: I thought the same about the crab's claws looking stubby like a stone crab but the color and body shape made me think blue crab and thought either camera angle or age made it look that way.

@Lmecher: where was the crab that its body parts were scattered? Did you offer it to Ollie?

Zuzu might remain in a front den if she is comfortable. Be sure she has plenty of small shells to use for doorways. My males would change dens every couple of days but once my females found dens they liked, they have stayed in them. All permenant female dens have been where they could look out and see the world (and visa versa). The males would often choose to go deep into the rockwork or to the back side of the tank.

If you want to hand feed, try offering a fiddler crab claw (you can use a straw if you have one). To get the fiddler to drop the claw grasp both pinchers and let it dangle over the crab pen. It will drop the claw to escape. They will eat whole fiddlers and have not problem catching ones almost mantle size.

Sorry to hear about the octopus. I was actually trying to see what they should look like as this one had a lot of those warning signals that I have learned to associate with the grocery store octopuses I have been buying. Would you mind adding your observations for this species to that list?

Did you ever figure out what type of crab you have/had? That picture of a blue crab capt posted is very strange. It has a greenish yellow tint to the claws. Iv never seen one like that. Normaly the claws are blue (males) or red (female).

I think that is a plastic or plasticized model. I believe CapFish posted it because it clearly shows the shredding edges of the claws vs the straight in side part of the one in Linda's photo.

davelin315;151867 said:
Sorry to hear about the octopus. I was actually trying to see what they should look like as this one had a lot of those warning signals that I have learned to associate with the grocery store octopuses I have been buying. Would you mind adding your observations for this species to that list?

Sure, I have been following your thread. It is very interesting although it keeps me on the dege of my seat. Just tell me where.

dwhatley;151853 said:
Zuzu might remain in a front den if she is comfortable. Be sure she has plenty of small shells to use for doorways. My males would change dens every couple of days but once my females found dens they liked, they have stayed in them. All permenant female dens have been where they could look out and see the world (and visa versa). The males would often choose to go deep into the rockwork or to the back side of the tank.

If you want to hand feed, try offering a fiddler crab claw (you can use a straw if you have one). To get the fiddler to drop the claw grasp both pinchers and let it dangle over the crab pen. It will drop the claw to escape. They will eat whole fiddlers and have not problem catching ones almost mantle size.

I am not too sure about this spot for a den. I posted photo, she is just stuck to the side of the rock, not much of a den at all. I added a handful of assorted size and shape shells. You say feed by hand with a stick, what is the straw for? I am not following

Ryan Smith;151872 said:
Did you ever figure out what type of crab you have/had? That picture of a blue crab capt posted is very strange. It has a greenish yellow tint to the claws. Iv never seen one like that. Normaly the claws are blue (males) or red (female).

No positive ID and it really dosen't matter now that it's been eaten. I just worried it would hurt Ollie.

It is hard to feed just a crab claw with a stick. With a straw you can poke part of the claw up the tube to wedge it well enough to offer like on a stick. Sleazy will take a claw from my fingers but I only tried that after she no longer feared (and indeed ignores completely, does not even do me the honor of blowing them with her siphon) my fingers next to her den. I would not suggest trying finger feeding at this time or she may relocate her den but a stick/straw should not be taken negatively.

The mercs have been unusual in their eating habits. You will see all kinds of reports on what they will (silversides, thawed frozen mysis, hermit crabs, snails) and will not eat(silversides, thawed frozen mysis, hermit crabs, snails) with fiddlers still being the universal food. Until Sleazy, I had never had one willingly take anything frozen but she readily takes grocery frozen shrimp strands. It may have something to do with the size. Neal rips off a strand about the size of a shore shrimp. Needless to say, experiment away. I do think octopuses get bored with haveing the same food every feeding, regardless of what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back