[Octopus]: 1st octopus

I took the video with a white light from my phone and didnt edit it with a filter or anything. Should be it's true colors! Does that give you a better idea on what it could be? I've noticed it can raise its eye stalks fairly high as well idk if that is telling of species to some degree

I wouldn't bet money on an ID so far but there are a few common animals that we can say it is not (not aculeatus, not briareus, not bimac, not vulgaris amd not one of the common exotics) and overall appearance and behavior (arms over head and mantle) still suggest to O. mercatoris (or O. digueti - a Pacific dwarf very similar in looks to O. mercatoris). We have not seen many (if any) O. digueti but a member looked into raising them years ago because of size and ease of keeping them in an aquarium. They are common to our southern west coast and supposed to be more active than the mercs. @Neogonodactylus has kept them in his lab in years past and photographed them (Roy's octo photography is stunning and I encourage you to view his album). From images, I cannot distinguish between O.mercatoris and O.digueti.

@forever27 also ordered the brown octopus from Saltwater.com and should get his new ward this week. Watch the journals section for his entry.

Cute little fella but I could not observe anything to help improve the ID guess. @forever27 ordered Zeke, another "Brown Pacific Octopus" from Saltwaterfish.com and his looks like it might also be Caribbean, this time, an O. briareus (yours is definitely not this species) so I am still guessing they have a Gulf of Mexico supplier and curious to know if these are from Haiti.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back