• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

150 gallon tank, Any Suggestions?

For Christmas I am getting a used 150 gallon fish tank. I did some estimates and it will cost around 125 dollars for some improvements. I am getting new lights for the sump, I am keeping the crappy ones up top for now.

The sump isn't very large so I decided to make my own wet / dry filter by an aquarium mesh material down on a steep angle in a bucket and shining a light on it so algae grows as water trickles down.

I also have a skimmer I made myself. My mom used it on her 75 gallon tank. She bought a newer one so I got mine back (it was over cleaning her tank)

My only concern is that it has to have an overflow. I am going to have to octo proof the tank and that is going to be the only annoying part.

I either want a huge octopus which is harder to find and more expensive to feed and maintain, or I could get a smaller one but I need to find out what fish could go with it.

I think I might get the same species as Animal Mother because I think he said something about having fish in his tank with it.

I forgot to mention that somebody gave us the tank for free. They are the richest people in town.

Because I am getting this tank I have to move to the garage because If something happens to it, the wood floors would be ruined. This will work out fine because my mom is pregnant again. She has us spaced out so when the baby is born she will have a 15 year old, an 8 year old, and a new born baby.

I would go for the vulgaris as well if you can find one (Tampa Bay Saltwater sometimes has them). If not the briareus would be a good choice (Joefish' Connany was quite large) but note that AM offered a chromis as a Thanksgiving treat, it was not a tank mate for long.

chaostheory;130180 said:
For Christmas I am getting a used 150 gallon fish tank. I did some estimates and it will cost around 125 dollars for some improvements. I am getting new lights for the sump, I am keeping the crappy ones up top for now.

The sump isn't very large so I decided to make my own wet / dry filter by an aquarium mesh material down on a steep angle in a bucket and shining a light on it so algae grows as water trickles down.

I also have a skimmer I made myself. My mom used it on her 75 gallon tank. She bought a newer one so I got mine back (it was over cleaning her tank)

My only concern is that it has to have an overflow. I am going to have to octo proof the tank and that is going to be the only annoying part.

I either want a huge octopus which is harder to find and more expensive to feed and maintain, or I could get a smaller one but I need to find out what fish could go with it.

I think I might get the same species as Animal Mother because I think he said something about having fish in his tank with it.

I forgot to mention that somebody gave us the tank for free. They are the richest people in town.

The one I kept with fish was an Abdopus aculeatus, they are on the small side. 150 might be a bit big for it, although it would surely have a lot of range to explore.
As D just noted, my briareus' fish company did not last long. I would suggest a briareus for that size of tank.

It is really hard doing research that specific because I have to sort through the vulgaris acne problem and most websites are unspecific. Aren't there articles here on TONMO.COM?

I am going to get a smaller species of octopus because I am short on funding and a small octopus would be happier with less rocks than a larger one. Setting it up is going to cost a lot. I can't afford 100 lbs of live rock.

chaostheory;130260 said:
It is really hard doing research that specific because I have to sort through the vulgaris acne problem and most websites are unspecific. Aren't there articles here on TONMO.COM?

There are general care articles but the individual species are found in the journals and photos forum. Not all of them are labeled by species but you just have to read through them.

I don't think anyone is keeping/has kept an O. vulgaris on here in quite some time. They don't seem to be common in the pet trade right now.

The LFS has an octopus go through all the time but it is the same dwarf 90% of the time. I forgot the name but the salesman said that they could live with lion fish and other things that are able to defend themselves. But my AP World History Teacher said that they lie to make a sale sometimes so I'll have to do some research myself.

Sounds like your teacher is doing what she/he is paid for and then some. Any fish that can defend itself is going to prove a concern for the octopus. If you want to validate your teacher's thinking, see if the person telling you this has done it at home during a casual converstation.

JoeFish84 had a vulgaris about two years ago so searching his posts in 2007 with references to Hex might help. We were never sure if Carol's Biddle was one or not (search Biddle). Any post by JoeFish84 about Conan and later Connay (as well as Animal_Mother's Kalypso) are briareus. The tank is way to big for any kind of dwarf (borrowing from Greg, "They go in but they don't come out")

I think that I am going to go with the Vulgaris. How little live rock can I get away with and keep the octopus happy? I know I shouldn't be thinking like that but I can't spend too much money on setting the tank up. Especially right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back