• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

10 days and octo not eating...

skulls

Hatchling
Registered
i picked up an octo from a LFS, that had been there for 2 weeks eating frozen everyday...so i thought this would be an ideal octo to bring home...that was 11 days ago and it has not eaten at all, ive tried everything under the sun frozen food wise, there is a couple of emerald crabs in the tank and a shrimp and a chromis, so if he gets hungry he's got options...but nothing.

he is very active all day night and night...he naps, he'll be up and about crusing the tank and glass, changing colors and watching us and then finds a spot in the tank and rests and then does it all over again throughout the day and night, so seems like all is well....

so i have no idea whats up...any ideas?

One almost sure fire food to try would be a live fiddler crab but the very active behavior, combined with the not eating would be typical of the onset of senescence. If he is full of energy and seems to wonder without purpose (ie not hunting) it is likely the case. Octos can do some pretty crazy things at this stage and have even been seen to come up on land. I have a couple of videos showing them moving sand from one side of the tank to the other in large scoops. It would be funny if it did not mark the end of their lives.

:welcome: to TONMO

he is very active all day night and night...he naps, he'll be up and about crusing the tank and glass, changing colors and watching us and then finds a spot in the tank and rests and then does it all over again throughout the day and night, so seems like all is well....

This behavior combined with the lack of eating sound like senescence. It is not normal behavior for an octous to be active all the time, especially when they have been introduced to a new aquarium.

DWhatley;193483 said:
One almost sure fire food to try would be a live fiddler crab [/QUOTE

Ok my octopus Triton has reached senescence, or so i believe. He has not eaten in about a month and a half. I have been constantly trying to feed him fiddler crabs and bits of frozen shrimp. The other day i put in 2 peppermint shrimp and a fiddler crab he ate both of the shrimp and the crab is still walking around in the tank. I am so confused i have never heard of an Octopus that wont eat fiddler crabs.

sadly you were correct...im.came home from work and found it in a weird ball on the bottom of the tank and not breathing...so now ive got to try and find another...im.thinking a mimic...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back