New Article: Mating Octopus (Abdopus aculeatus)

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
I'm pleased to announce a new article that Dr. Caldwell and I collaborated on (and should be featured in PZ Meyers' Friday Cephalopod tomorrow) regarding Roy's incredible photos of Abdopus aculeatus mating - just in time for Valentine's Day!

Mating Octopus (Abdopus aculeatus)

Thanks Roy for the incredible images and all the supporting information!

:notworth:

Last edited:
Just wondering what happened after the eggs hatched, any luck raising them to the settlement stage. I currently have an O.vulgaris with eggs, laid on 3/27/11, any hints on how to raise them. 2 years ago had O.vulgaris larve last about 14 days.Thanks, you can also contact me at [email protected].

Brian,
PLEASE try to collect some of the dead hatchlings for me. I started a little project that has grown a bit so I am trying to collect as many hatchlings as possible to do a comparative photo shoot. If you put them in alcohol, they will preserve for a long as I will need them (IMO, hatchlings preserve pretty will this way for at least a year, but with adults, formalin is needed first). I have O.briareus for a large egg species and O.hummelincki for a small but would like to get O. vulgaris and O.bimaculoides for additional comparisons. PM me if you would not mind sending me a few and I will send my address.

D - I have hatchlings for you in formalin.

Brian - throw every food you can at them. Keep them in a BRT, not a Kreisel. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back