[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Jabba, Jool, Ziro, Zorba - S. Bandensis

Recommendations solicited! @cuttlegirl, @Thales

The cuttles are between 1.5" and 2" long now and are close to needing a larger facility (still in LARGE breeder net - 2x + size of normal nets). Their net is in a 37 gallon tank that is available. Their ultimate home is a 140. Do you think using the 37 as an interim tank is the best next tank or would I be better off overfeeding their final home (still on live food) and not have to transfer them? One is quite skiddish (largest - thinking Inky for the name) and inks at the slightest provocation. The others never ink. He pseudomorphs so it is relatively easy to use the turkey baster in the net but would be more difficult to remove the ink in the 37 where I would not worry much about it in the 140. I would prefer to keep them (4) all together throughout their lives.

I have been fighting with the computer all day so I have not been on to see your response :hmm:. I decided to move them tonight as the biggest one inks at almost anything but I was afraid I would lose them altogether in the 140 (it is a 3' tall pent) so I released them to the 37. They were so funny to watch when I lowered the breeding net. One kept trying to bite (or so it appears, video coming sometime tomorrow if my computer problems are mostly resolved) the netting and then one or two of the others started doing the same thing, almost like they suddenly discovered there was a world outside of their net. I fed them a few hours before releasing them and then added a handful of shrimp after they left the net. At least two found the additional food. All acted a little differently with the largest and the smallest hiding in the rock and the two middle sized staying more to the front, one (the one that started biting at the net) checked out the new boundaries. Can you have a rabid bandensis? :biggrin2:

Photos in new home
newHome10Weeks.JPG camo10Weeks_Sand_ps.jpg camo10Weeks_CoralineRock_02ps.JPG nwHome10Weeks_Exploring_02.JPG

... and the release video (condensed :biggrin2:)

These four have never seemed uncomfortable in the large net but as soon as I lowered it the most gregarious started "biting" at the netting and the others followed suit. It is as if they were unaware that the rest of the aquarium existed.

Note, as agitated as they seem there was no inking even from the skittish largest animal.

I have seen only three eat for the last two days (the smallest, the largest and one of the middle sized). After at least half an hour of searching, I finally spotted the fourth but it was in the back and I could not get a photo.
Note that in the first picture, there are three but finding the one in the back is a challenge (I did not know he made it into the picture but did find him after the picture was taken). The second picture is of the largest.

camoTwoCuttles.JPG camoBiggest.JPG

I don't have (can't afford) a high end skimmer but have experimented with half a dozen of the lower/medium varieties and have replace all of them over time with the Coralife brand. Many people have found that their tank ratings are far closer to actual than all of the others in the price range.

This is a small (37 gallon) grow out tank that I also often use for baby octopuses. It is far to small for them when they grow up but for now I can still (sort of, the two middle sized guys don't come out with the lights on to feed yet) see that each is eating, something I could no do in the 140 that is their intended final home.

Oddly, the smallest (Jool, maybe ) and the largest (Jabba, maybe) are out right away when I add food. The twins (two middle sized, Ziro and Snootles, maybe but could be bad karma :roll:) are very hard to find during the day and are either catching food behind the rocks or not eating as regularly as the other two. I fed a second time last night after the tank lights were off (turned room lights on) and DID see all four eat (Jool and Jabba had a second helping).

Jool (the smallest) seems to like the orange polyps and is often a similar color orange or orange and white.

Wasn't Snootles the singer/assassin who was in love with Ziro but then KILLED him in the clone wars? If so, then bad luck indeed. Still, good to know your cuttlefish are settling into their new accommodations very well.

Indeed, the tentative names were intended to be Hutts from Star Wars but I think Jool (Neal says I have to write their names on their backs or at least tape them to the tank) may be from some of the "extras" (like comic books, video games or books) rather than from the movies. It turns out that Snootles will need renaming as she was not a Hutt (apparently an interspecies relationship with Ziro) so I think I am going with Zorba (mostly to be able to remember the names and ATM, I cannot tell the two apart :roll:)

Too hard to remember. There were a couple of others I like better in the list but either spelling or remembering narrowed practical possibilities :old:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back