From Pacific Side of Baja, with eggs - what ID say you?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Taken this week in San Ignacio Lagoon, Pacific side of Baja. Looking to confirm the id. Thanks!
i-T3SWZHS-L.jpg

i-KDGTX9f-L.jpg

i-nLHwC2T-L.jpg

From the orange sucker rings, the large eggs, the general look of the animal, my initial guess is O. bimaculoides. The give away eyespot is not clear but I think I can see its outline in the second picture. Nix the not clear, the eyespot IS identifiable on its right side (left side of the photo).

HOWEVER, I have never seen a good photo of O. maya and have not been able to find a description of the eyespots. It is also a large egg species and is a warm water animal where Baja is pretty far south for the bimac. The pictured mantle looks a bit large compared to the arms for a bimac BUT the arms have clearly regrown from injury AND the mantle is extended from egg creation. I can't seem to confirm if O. maya is known to occur on the Pacific side of Mexico. The farming is done on the Caribbean side. I believe Roy has seen them in the wild. Not having seen even a good photo of O. maya, I don't know how close they are in appearance. Roy and I both tried to purchase O. maya several years ago and both and ended up with O. hummelincki (similar to a bimac but with identifiably different and small egged).

Looking around for any new info, my money is still strongly on O. bimaculoides (O. bimaculatus is the small egg version of the Pacific bimac) but if you need me to come down for a better look, I'd be happy to make the trip :wink:

OK, I finally found something to differentiate, definitely bimaculoides. O. maya has purple/blue coloration around the suckers (like hummelincki). The orange on the bimacs is one of the features I note in my things to look for to help ID talk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EnlargementArtifactExtraArms.jpg

:bugout:OH MY! I was just studying the second picture to see if I could see the eye spot and realized that she just ATE another bimac! ... NOT

Not only do we have to contend with photoshopping but it seems my combination of browser zoom and EXIF display add-on can produce some pretty crazy artifacts :roll:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back