[Octopus]: Houdini - O. Briareus Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took a skewer and started trying to agitate her again (did it 3 times prior with no luck) to come out to at least see arms and try to introduce food where she is denning... well she came out alright, (prob screaming "Do you know what time it is!?!) She noticed the dead fiddler, snatched it up and ZOOOOM! Right back in her den. (Que sigh of relief) Hoping to see an empty shell soon. :popcorn::beer:

Pretty star fish! I had a green serpent for years and thought maybe there were two kinds since he was very docile UNTIL he was about 5 years old then he had to go into his own tank as he would attack anything that moved.

When you are in the grocery, see if you can get a small piece of salmon. This was the first dead food Shiitake would take. It is not a great regular food but not bad for once a week.

Yup I already have some of that Salmon diced up into small bits for her. She would grab it and then release it a few moments later. I would pull the pieces out and looked to see if she nibbled at all, but no bite marks of any kind.

EMPTY FIDDLER SHELL TODAY AND SOME LEGS THROWN AROUND!

Wink didn't eat the legs but this one seems to be either eating them or ripping them off for fun. (que sound effects for "She loves me .... She loves me not") lol

Did a good scrub down of the tank today with a water change, and someone was dancing in her pet carrier cause she could see her dinner (thawed fiddler in a bottle) The picture came out pretty decent.

My Pump stopped working in the IM 38g after I cleaned it. (scratches head) We have no choice but to put Houdini in Wink's tank in the pet carrier till I get my new Pump in. I tore down the little 4g tank since I had no use for it (or so I thought) so I can't put Houdini in there again. I'm worried the pump might be a tad strong for Houdini to be loose in the RSM 130 so I feel much safer with her in Wink's rock in the pet carrier for a few days. I can't catch the Puzzle Piece Clownfish in there. He's very smart, he hides almost as good as she does in the rocks.

Houdini has been eating like a pig :whalevsa: and starting to eat the hermits like her sister. I swear I feed her every 3 days. Salmon or silver sides during the early morning hours & a fiddler that night. She still takes some coaxing to come out. But usually only about 5-10 min. I don't think she likes her dinner bell. (me scraping the skewer on the rocks) but if it agitates her enough to come out and see what's going on and taking the food I'm happy.

I took some photos of catching her this evening, so I can show size comparison. Please excuse all the gunk in there. I am using a very fine sand and it just sucks up all the gunk and when you go to clean the sand, or move the rocks around, the water is so murky you can't see a thing.

She has gotten a little bigger, but she is still very tiny as you can see in the picture with the hermit crab.

The photos taken with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. My Daughter wanted my iPhone because she broke hers. :rolleyes: I don't mind, the camera on this one is amazing. Practicing how to do photos, and hoping I still get better. lol

Bucket shot ~ Wow look at those blue eyes.

Size comparison to a Hermit crab

Another Size shot

Ok now for the Winning shots.

Some Murky :yuck: tank shots.

I'm really not liking this sand. I try to use the vacuum on it, but its so fine it just flies up the tubes and I have to drain it and put it back in the tank. I don't want to wash it, because of all the beneficial bacteria in it. I'm afraid to crash the tank.

And finally the nasty Murky tank shot. I'm using a Koralia to keep water flow in there until I call in the morning for a new one. (the sand is about 2-3 inches from front to back, but cleaning it and moving the LR around most of it got pushed to the front)

So she's been doing really well. She does hide a lot more now, and doesn't dance on the glass as much but I expected it. She still gives me interaction when eating, but I try not to stress her out with too much touch and go. (This temporary tank swap is going to stress her out enough)

Curious how she will interact seeing the mean Clownfish. Maybe I'll feed it to her. :sagrin: (This Clownfish killed 3 very expensive Snowflake Platinum Perculas. $350 :mad: )

Anyway I was due for an update so there ya go!

LOL, I quit (mostly) using my fingers and use a bamboo skewer :roll: as I have a few that NEED cleaning and stop when the power goes out. Most are little tiny things (hence the occasional use of fingers).

I'm thinking Houdini is in fact a HE. View those photos of her again and 4th arm on the right stays kind of curled up all the time. I never paid attention to it until now because of how tiny she is. Isn't that the Ligula?

The tank is clearing up, I really scour down the tank when I water change and clean off the glass and back wall. I wish they would have had a black IM 38G. This white IM 38G is driving me nuts! I also move the rocks that are on the bottom to the top. Their still really white. Like their not getting any lighting to help them grow algae. Well the green algae grows on it constantly. :rolleyes: I want to stick Peppermint Shrimp in there to help with it, and the brown anemone's coming out. But alas that would be some expensive upkeep with her eating them.

I've been tinkering with the skimmer again. It wasn't skimming much, but then again she's so tiny and doesn't produce much waste. It skims really good the first week or so, then just stops. I clean the cup out and the whole skimmer pump and all. should I not clean it to give the bubbles something to cling to on the shaft? I'm such a clean freak when it comes to my tanks.

I really hate the way the rock looks like it is just thrown in there. I'm gonna start hunting for another Super Extra large piece with lots of holes or caves in it. (Texas Holy rock?) I'm afraid she will move some of these pieces when she gets larger before Inkman can pick her up and it cave in on her. I hate trying to Aquascape!

Compared to when there were 2 in here having to be seperated you can now see why I couldn't put the rock in there with the pet carrier holding Houdini. The rocks are so big, it wouldn't fit.

Moving the skimmer to the back tonight, and taking out the Koralia. Doing a water test and plopping her back in. She has been going nuts in her pet carrier (in the RSM130)watching the Puzzle Piece Clownfish in the other tank dancing up and down. I'm enjoying having the 2 tanks setup like this so when I do a tear down, scour, and set back up I know she's safe in the other tank.

Thanks DWhatley! I'm gonna keep a close eye.

She's eating full size fiddler now. One fiddler every 3rd day. I make sure to stick in a piece of salmon, shrimp, or silver side in there as well on the 2nd day. She normally eats the fiddler, and munches on the other food the next day. So basically she's feeding everyday. Sometimes she refuses, and I take it out after an hour or so. But you know me, my Octos have to Oink before I slow down on feeding them. lol I think it was the bad experiences with my First Octo and the baby Cuttles not eating.

Paranoia? (shrugs)

We offer food daily (with one day fast and then a snack if they come out looking for food). They usually eat (Shiitake is making a liar out of me though) until they are entering senescence.

The following are 2 different Octopus specie, but is being used in a size reference since the same exact den rock is being used.

Octopus Digueti (Wink)

Baby Octopus Briareus (Houdini) tonight in the same exact den rock

I like having an Octo in the living room again even if it's just temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back