[Cuttlefish]: Back, at long last...

Actually, I had done that for temporary barriers/dividers and for immediate need when I was out of the acrylic weld - knowing I would have to redo it. Your post suggests this is a permanent use though so OOPS :wink: . You probably know that there are two kinds of silicone but I'll mention it for posterity (for others reading the post). Most of the ammonia based will now say, "NOT for aquarium use" where the vinegar based won't include that comment but checking the solvent is prudent. The ammonia based will add ammonia to a tank for quite some time. One of MY oops - fortunately I learned the consequences on a 2 gallon experimental tank when I ran out of the stuff I bought labeled for aquariums. I could not figure out why everything died in one tank but not in the "identical" set up of another :roll:

SOOO, this has been quite the learning experience. I learned what i could about acrylic bonding and assembled the sump again. Everything was going swimmingly until my wife and I went to Utah for spring break...
Long story short:
I had to completely disassemble the sump and throw in a tank to replace it.
I decided to get some fish and a small clean up crew consisting of a spiny blue lobster and a sea star.
I am about 2 months into that decision and no longer have fish. I still have a spiny lobster though....
and he gets hungrier every day.
So after talking it over with my better half, I've decided to follow through with my original plan and order some bandensis eggs.
Im currently searching for a home for my friend, the lobster..
2015-05-13 19.37.05.jpg
2015-05-13 19.36.49.jpg
2015-05-13 16.43.10-1.jpg

I hope your floors are OK!

I have a small (ish) Spanish spotted lobster in a non-ceph tank that has been with me a few years (at least 3). He only sheds about once a year now and scared me after the last shed as he did not come out (abnormal) for food for over a month. After almost a month I finally spotted his active feelers in a reflection and have now seen him a couple time (after 3 months) but he does not feed anywhere near as actively as in the past (still put food in every day for him and the single fish that resides with him).

Update 7/18/15
about two months ago i took a trip to Sandy Hook NJ with my wife and dog, Porter and collected some sea grasses from large tidal areas at low tide. i knew there were a few pods intermingled with them so i just brought a five gallon bucket of water, grass and some snails home and put them, selectively, in the tank. i saw a pod every once in a while at first and have had many waves of different algae spring up and die off. I also added a bunch of cheato.
as of today, i have pods crawling all over every surface in the tank. they have created little pockets that they live in all over the glass. they are everywhere. thousands of them. so in essence I've created a farm to raise the food i will feed the cuttles i just ordered. having raised a couple before, i estimate that i have enough food for them to last at least the first many weeks of their life before i ween them onto tiny shore shrimp.
i will probably start collecting live grass shrimp in the coming weeks and set up a holding tank for them in the basement. i need baby cuttles for my wife to look at before i spring that plan on her tho.
eggs should be here tuesday.

obviously, it depends on the number of cuttles. your tank sounds like mine. if all five of mine hatch, they will eat the pods i can harvest in a month. easily. but at that point they will benefit from larger prey. by then i plan to have a stock of ghost shrimp on hand of varying sizes.

helped 3 with a cesarian section yesterday. the egg was completely deflated and it was still solidly encased. so i just made a small hole through which it could escape, which it did moments after returning the ruptured egg to the bottom of the breeder net.
#4 was up and about swimming this morning.
5 is still in the bubble, but its only a matter of time. there will be 5 cuttles. yikes.
assuming all goes well, i plan to offer up any "extra" males to the science teachers at the school where i teach. ideally, id like 2 females and 1 male. definitely not more than 2 males in my 50 gallon. one can hope, right?

and then there were 5.
had a scare last night though. there was an amazing lightning storm at around 3, during which i got out of bed and walked around the house. it wasn't until it passed that i realized the power went out. and silly me, i don't have a battery powered pump!
long story short, the cuttles were fine and the power came back on at 7am. they were, however, swimming around in 1" of water in their breeder net during the ordeal.
they seemed almost frantic, actually. all 5 were buzzing around like crazy.
maybe they're scared of thunder..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back